• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel Start - Stationair and Stop Sounds Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:22 AM

Started again with some sound projects in the last few days.
The problem with the Diesel Start and Stop sounds still appears to exist in the OR releases from past months. (?)

In short, with older locomotives (still from the MSTS era) you could make Diesel Start and Stop sounds using Key-V (wipers).
This still works well, but then of course you don't have "synchronization" with the OR functions SHIFT-Y (CTR-Y)
[ example 1 ]

When this function was created in OR (SHIFT-Y, CTR-Y) you could easily adapt the .SMS file to the triggers 23 and 24.
After all, as is still stated in the manual, triggers 23 and 24 work in OR for electric locomotives as well as diesel locomotives.
[ example 2 ]

However, since about half a year ago, when the "Power diesel functions were renewed" (like now that you first have to start the diesel, fine in itself!) has anything changed with the sound triggers?
Example 2 works well in itself, but when you change from internal (CAB.SMS) to external (ENG.SMS), or vice versa, does the sound often drop? Can also happen when going from view-3 to view-2 (on longer trains).
As I already indicated at the time, it seems that trigger 23 and 24 "power on-off diesel engine" no longer has a continuous status, but has changed to a "one-time trigger". ??
During testing I also noticed that sometimes "spontaneously" the dieselStart sound is audible again when changing viewpoint. Even funnier is that the "StartDiesel.wav" is not visible in the SoundDebug (ALt-S), so is it in a loop somewhere....?

Attached File  Diesel Start-Stop.txt (1.29K)
Number of downloads: 187

In short, even after a few hours of puzzling and thinking up ways, you can't adjust this differently?
(besides the fact that for many people this is just doable, so many diesel locomotives have this problem)
I'm also surprised that I haven't read more complaints, but maybe I missed something.

So:
If the "Power on/off" functions have changed (I don't mean the status and HUD-5) concerns the sound triggers, what is the current way to get this to work properly????

Thank you in advance.

As an attachment an example, if anyone still wants to look or see something wrong?
Attached File  DSB-MY1133.zip (8.61K)
Number of downloads: 168

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:47 AM

Some years ago I implemented a rough engine sound start-stop for the GP38.
Attached is the ...eng.sms file I wrote
Attached File  gp38eng.sms.txt (36.19K)
Number of downloads: 173
There wasn't yet the possibility to have the engine stopped at game start, so my gp48 starts with engine on, and therefore also its sound is there.
If I press Shift-Y, the engine stops and the engine sound is muted. If I press Shift-Y again, the engine restarts and the engine sound returns.
I attach also the power on .wav file I am using.
Attached File  x_gp_poweron1.zip (59.04K)
Number of downloads: 163
This .sms file worked before the OR code changes and continues working now on ORNYMG 112.1.

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 December 2021 - 03:23 AM

I remember, that Deltic sound pack from TS.com (dash9 sounds replacement) contained some extra files for start/stop events of locomotive diesels, recorded from different points.

#4 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 19 December 2021 - 09:39 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 December 2021 - 02:47 AM, said:

Some years ago I implemented a rough engine sound start-stop for the GP38.
Attached is the ...eng.sms file I wrote
There wasn't yet the possibility to have the engine stopped at game start, so my gp48 starts with engine on, and therefore also its sound is there.
If I press Shift-Y, the engine stops and the engine sound is muted. If I press Shift-Y again, the engine restarts and the engine sound returns.
I attach also the power on .wav file I am using.
This .sms file worked before the OR code changes and continues working now on ORNYMG 112.1.

Thanks in advance for the info, will test this this week (little busy with work now....) and compare, see what the difference is.

#5 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:56 AM

I tried a new way to start the engine.
In the original .sms files for engine and cabin, I canceled the Initial trigger:

Triggers ( 5
Initial_Trigger ( StartLoop ( 1 File ( "830.206_motor_idle.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 24 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
Discrete_Trigger ( 24 PlayOneShot ( 1 	File ( "830.206_motor_stop.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 23 PlayOneShot ( 1 	File ( "830.206_motor_start.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "830.206_motor_idle.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
)

and left only Discrete triggers 23 and 24.

Diesel start works well, but only until I switch cab / outside views.
Sound interruptions occur mainly when the engine is idling.
Note: for large diesel engines, the start is preceded by the sound of the lubrication pump.

#6 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 20 December 2021 - 03:44 AM

My summary and tested in MG 112.1:
I see in the .SMS file that no separate "start and stop" sounds (.WAV) have been applied.

The sound file "x_gp_poweron1.wav" actually consists of two sounds, "start+idle(stationary)".
In this .wav file a marker (Cue points) is used that divides the .wav file.
I assume the sound file "x_gp_power_cruise1.wav" was created in a similar way, but now with "Idle+stop" sound ??

The two ways that can be applied to MSTS and OR is, see example: Attached Image: Start-Loop-End_sound.jpg

1) separate files
	Triggers( 4
		Discrete_Trigger ( 23 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "StartDiesel.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
		Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "StationairDiesel.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
		Discrete_Trigger ( 24 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "StopDiesel" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
		)
or
2) file with markers
	Triggers( 2
		Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "StartDiesel+StationairDiesel+StopDiesel.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
		)

Or read the story about sound settings (.SMS) I described on the coalstonewcastle site: https://www.coalston...physics/sounds/

You hear the diesel sound (idle) immediately by game-start because of the first line "Initial_Trigger ( StartLoop ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise1.wav" -1) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )"
(If you remove this and change "triggers (15" to ''triggers (14" it would also work with the new function in OR, so first silence and then start the diesel.)

OK, I have similarly pasted together my sound files "start" + "Stationary" + "Stop" via an audio editor and separated by markers.
This gives a big improvement, the complaint that when you switch between internal (CAB) or external (ENG) and back again, the "idle Diesel sound" now remains audible and therefore does not fall into silence, as applied with separate files.

Tested briefly with separate sounds as example 1) (like 'Dynamo', 'Injector', 'Blow out', 'compressor / air pump', 'cooling fan', etc. etc.), these all seem to work normally in MG112.1

Summarized:
- Although example 2) gives a big improvement, you have to convert existing .SMS files and existing .WAV files from existing models.
- Both ways example 1) and 2) still works well in OR / MG 112.1, except for the Diesel power on/off (triggers 23+24) ???
- Operation example 2) is also not 100% correct, namely as an example you start the diesel and stop in the CAB, and you go external (ENG) and you start the diesel again, it jumps to "idle sound".
By comparison, this doesn't happen if you use trigger 6+7. (V key wipers)

Something has been changed "somewhere" with triggers 23+24, which worked well before.....

#7 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:49 AM

Hello.

I would insert a Discrete_Trigger (23 DisableTrigger (X)) line under the line Discrete_Trigger (23 PlayOneShot (1 file ("830.206_motor_start.wav" - 1) Selection Method (SequentialSelection))) that disables the startup queue in front of it.
Then of course you need a Discrete_Trigger (24 EnableTrigger (X)) line in the right place. This will re-enable the engine start sound.
			Skip ( V/10. Motor indítás )
			Stream (
				Priority ( 7 )
				Triggers ( 6
					Discrete_Trigger ( 23 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "m61_indit.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoop ( 1 File ( "m61_alapjarat.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Discrete_Trigger ( 23 DisableTrigger ( 1 ) )

Discrete_Trigger ( 24 PlayOneShot ( 1 File ( "m61_leall.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Discrete_Trigger ( 24 EnableTrigger ( 1 ) )
				)
			)

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#8 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

Thank you Laci! This works.

#9 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor

Posted 21 December 2021 - 02:22 AM

Hi Laci,

Thank you for your information. I see you are also working on the NoHab's, great!!! :D
The "trick" with the disable+enable triggers does indeed work well, if you use separate start, idle and stop sounds. [ indit / alapjarat / leall ]

In general, this is a solution (actually a bypass......!) for the Diesel Power 0n/Off function triggers 23+24.
(Although this deviates from the general "sound .SMS logic"......)

#10 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 21 December 2021 - 03:30 AM

View PostQJ-6811, on 21 December 2021 - 02:22 AM, said:

Hi Laci,

Thank you for your information. I see you are also working on the NoHab's, great!!! :D
The "trick" with the disable+enable triggers does indeed work well, if you use separate start, idle and stop sounds. [ indit / alapjarat / leall ]

In general, this is a solution (actually a bypass......!) for the Diesel Power 0n/Off function triggers 23+24.
(Although this deviates from the general "sound .SMS logic"......)

Hello.

This is how all my engine starting and stopping sounds are recorded. I didn't pick them up, I just use them. So it was easy to deal with them.
This still needs to be modified because there is a constant idle in this form. It’s not good for memory to have many trains on the road at once.
I found brake sounds in a Czech vehicle, which were also divided into three according to the same principle. There I first used the disable + enable triggers. I don’t think the recorders had heard of the logic of sms, and for them it was natural.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users