Interesting arrangement anyway.

#12 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:11 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 16 December 2021 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hi Frank, and thank you!

Yeah, I modeled the bolts. They are the first to go in the levels of detail assignments. I knew it was nuts, but I also want these models to be interesting to the observer, fun to sit in and look around, and to be educational as well. I strive for as much correctness wherever possible. But sometimes I had to make assumptions where certain details are not known, and do the best I can using what I do know about it.

That's going to be tough. The closest I can find at the moment is a photo in Al Staufer's "B&O Power", on page 39. It's a view of a burned and stripped camel at Martinsburg after the rebel raid of 1861. It looks like the controls were attached to the large steam dome (the camel's hump). But it's hard to tell exactly what's what, with all the guys hanging out on the wreck, partially blocking the view. It's the lot in life for modelers of the era in question. There's very little documentation and you really have to be good at research and lucky in serendipity to find nuggets of information. Another book I recommend for the era is John H. White's "A History of the American Locomotive, It's Development: 1830-1880". He has a chapter devoted to camels, on pages 347-357. This includes super-good drawings of the 0-8-0 Susquehanna, which show details of it's incredibly complex valve and running gear.

The White book also has a chapter on Henry Tyson's Ten-Wheelers, as well.

How apropro (did I spell it right)....Whytes book is lying open in front of me. I lucked out today and found a bunch of stuff on Winans odd creatures. I've been posting the stuff in the forum inn the Members section....Accidently found something I thought you'd be interested in...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/c7/6b/1ec76bbd9cd1056068086232ac52a0bc.jpg

It's from The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletin No. 97 (OCTOBER, 1957), pp. 68-72. From reading the text that may have actually built one or two.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users