• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Baltimore & Ohio Winans Camel #199 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR MSTS

Posted 12 December 2021 - 11:01 PM

Repaint of one of my Winans & Gillingham 0-8-0 "camels". I used one of John Ott's locomotive prints as a guide. Winans built a multitude of these beasts for various railroads but worked commonly with the B&O

John's drawing reflects what I have read about these engines as delivered. Cheap and simple with drab paint.. Although the model shows brass on some parts I can't see Winans going to that expense. Despite the builder, the locomotives performed well and lasted for decades, though most of them were updated and "refined" in the railroad shops.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/91/6b/e7916b8a41c12816c937bd1a5a37de8b.jpg

#2 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:04 AM

Mucking about with a "camel" cab view have no idea where gauges and controls go. The scotsman view that I dis use has NOTHING in common with a Winans. First cab view ever, despite the fact that I've made quite a few locomotives over the years.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ad/8a/a7/ad8aa7e59e2ec2f648337317a1da01d6.jpg

#3 User is offline   Frank Musick 

• Conductor

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:58 AM

Some questions on these Winans "camels" (not to be confused with Dyson 10 wheelers or anything after 1866 and the Wootens firebox).

Anyway,,,,
Is there a way to fix animation by editing the s file? These camels have a "hitch in thier get-a-long" and I no longer have the DST files from Train Sim Modeler.

How can I add parts that weren't on the original shape? I think Tim Muir and several others have added a second S file with the same origin or whatever,

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:10 PM

Well, another file was originally used as TSM had faces limitation.
Second of possible purposes - modification of outer parts for the same base model.
For example, as a freight animation there could be decals with road numbers, or interior models.

In both cases, Freight animation () statement of the *.eng-file called that auxiliary model.

#5 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:08 AM

Frank, it might be best to just start anew on an updated model, to correct the animation glitch. It would be better too, when making FA add-on parts. Without the originals it will be a bit of a tedious chore positioning anything you want to add.

When making a Freight Anim add-on part, say, a bell for example, I position it on the shape they are intended for, parent it to MAIN, then save as a part and delete off the main shape. Next, open a new project window in the modeling program, load the saved part, then add a small .010" poly at the origin for the Main. You could texture the Main using the bell textures to keep draw calls to a minimum. Then export the FA shape to the folder the intended main shape resides in. Make an entry in the eng file for the FA file and it will appear in the sim in the right position on the main shape.

Here's the eng file for a Norris 4-4-0 that has four FA files (thanks ORTS team!) showing how I entered them.

Attached Image: ORTS FA Lines.jpg

I'm glad you mentioned John Ott's drawings, as I had suggested to you in another post. So, disregard that post ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users