• You cannot reply to this topic

4k resolution not listed as option Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:32 PM

I noticed 4k resolution (3840x2160) is not an option on the display tab. While not yet that common 4k monitors are in use and should become more common in time.

Question: for a long time one could specify the game to be run in a windows frame. That's gone now so I can't test if one could spread the windows frame across multiple monitors and have a very large display of OR. Now that I have two monitors I'd love to test that out. How do I download a version before that feature disappeared?

#2 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:59 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 05 December 2021 - 02:32 PM, said:

I noticed 4k resolution (3840x2160) is not an option on the display tab. While not yet that common 4k monitors are in use and should become more common in time.

Question: for a long time one could specify the game to be run in a windows frame. That's gone now so I can't test if one could spread the windows frame across multiple monitors and have a very large display of OR. Now that I have two monitors I'd love to test that out. How do I download a version before that feature disappeared?

While not a preset, it should be fine to just manually type an arbitrary resolution in the dropdown and OR should honor that as long you are in Window-Mode. So if you place your monitors beside each other, just use "7680x2160" as resolution. Fullscreen will just use one screen, but windowed-mode could stretch multiple screens. When in game, you could just use Alt+Enter to switch between FullScreen and Window mode.

#3 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:45 PM

3840x2160 works on my 4k screen ok.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:48 PM

Cool! It works!

Some funky mouse stuff where it works on one screen but not the other... but things look really neat!

Thanks!

#5 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:32 PM

Great result! A 7680 x 2160 picture (last week).
However, I am having finger trouble doing it today. I am always getting the base size 3840 x 2160.
The "Window" selection always pops up at the top of the screen. Which option should I be selecting? Apparently, I selected the right buttons by blind luck the last couple of times.
What is the correct sequence of steps to use when trying to fill a double width (7680 x 2160) image?
Sid P.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:20 PM

Don't know. I did it once and it continues to the present.

#7 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 18 February 2022 - 08:47 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 17 February 2022 - 01:20 PM, said:

Don't know. I did it once and it continues to the present.

It worked perfectly the first time yesterday (before I wrote my note), then when I started investigating how it works, it stopped working! Now I can't remember exactly what worked.

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 February 2022 - 10:00 AM

View PostSid P., on 18 February 2022 - 08:47 AM, said:

It worked perfectly the first time yesterday (before I wrote my note), then when I started investigating how it works, it stopped working! Now I can't remember exactly what worked.

It needs to be in windows mode, not full screen. I think the resolution can be entered in the options window by typing it in. On my system, when the game launches, the window only covers the left monitor. I have to select the upper frame and pull it all the over to the right.

#9 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 22 February 2022 - 01:24 PM

I finally found what I had done.Note, I was not using two monitors, I was just interested in making wide angle views like Genma Saotome showed. So I set the display size to be double the extents of my monitor: 7680x2160.
I cleared the "Windowed" option and started OR.
I moved out of the cab (because that is drawn by a different procedure).
I then clicked Alt-Enter - this gave me a squeezed image.
I took a "Window Snip" picture using the "Print Scrn" button on the keyboard.
The step that I had missed later was taking the picture while the image was in a squeezed look. This yields a correct wide angle picture in the "Open Rails" picture folder. But if you restore the image that you are looking at to a correct image first, then you only get a normal (actual size of the screen) picture.You can move around to take other pictures while still showing the squeezed image, but once you switch to a normal picture on your screen, the compression does not happen any more.It also works if you start in "Windowed" option, but don't click Alt-Enter before taking the picture.
I am attaching a sample image set for a window that was set at 9900 x 2160.
[attachment=116220:Open Rails 2022-02-22 04-19-27.jpg]
Sid P.

#10 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 23 February 2022 - 01:29 PM

Sorry for the fussing above with the window buttons to take wide angle pictures - I usually run OR in the most recent MG version, to explore the new features, and
I just found that the regular release version (like T1.4-237, etc.) handles the wide window option to get wide-angle pictures better than the current MG version:
Set the desired window size in the Video Options next to the note: "Window size (Type WIDTHxHEIGHT for custom size").
The maximum accepted value seems to be 4 digits.
To start OR in the normal window, start it with the option button "Windowed" cleared.
To start OR in the extended size window, check the "Windowed" box before starting.
To take wide-angle pictures, (you should not be in the cab): Click "Alt-Enter" to enter (or leave) the expanded window at any time.
The display will show a horizontally compressed image if you have set the windows values correctly when an extended picture will be taken. Press the "Print Scrn" key to take a "Windows Snip".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users