• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel fuel consumption issue Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:58 PM

I mentioned this issue awhile back in another thread. Since then, I've investigated it a bit further. The issue is this: on a diesel locomotive, when the reverser is centered (neither in forward nor reverse), fuel consumption as measured by the fuel gauge is zero. While the HUD will show the fuel consumption occurring at idle (or at any throttle setting), that fuel consumption is not registered by a reduction in the fuel tank level when the reverser is centered. In proper operation, the fuel level would reduce by the amount of fuel being consumed even when the reverser is centered. I use Gerry Steele's "include files," but I have not found anything in them that would cause this issue. I'm currently using the MG Revision 110.5, but this issue has occurred in several previous MG versions. I would appreciates the OR team looking into this--it is somewhat of a "bug." Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:54 AM

Something similar occurs with steam locomotive coal consumption i.e. throttle zero equals no decreasing fuel level.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:01 AM

It was decided years ago by the "OR Go-Green" code team that all locomotives consume zero fuel when in Idle...in compliance with international rail treaty #1238i56-055720570-7462949 section1987, paragraph A. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:26 PM

Joking aside, railguy, I can confirm this happens...ran for 15 minutes in idle at 88% throttle and no fuel consumption registered, although the flow rate was correctly displayed in the locomotive HUD. You should formally file a bug report. I was testing with MG version 110.5.

Have you tried the most recent stable version to determine if this happens in the stable version. If you find a version that the fuel consumption is correctly displayed ( while in idle ) then that would help with troubleshooting the bug.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2021-12-02 12-18-37-261.jpg

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:09 PM

R H Steele, on 02 December 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

Joking aside, railguy, I can confirm this happens...ran for 15 minutes in idle at 88% throttle and no fuel consumption registered, although the flow rate was correctly displayed in the locomotive HUD. You should formally file a bug report. I was testing with MG version 110.5.

Have you tried the most recent stable version to determine if this happens in the stable version. If you find a version that the fuel consumption is correctly displayed ( while in idle ) then that would help with troubleshooting the bug.

Just out of interest, if you put the locomotive in gear (rather then N), and leave it in idle does it consume fuel?

#6 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:19 AM

To answer Peter's question, yes, putting the reverser into forward (and presumably reverse) does make fuel consumption register in the HUD and on the fuel gauge. To answer Gerry's questions, I have not tried the latest stable version (I don't even have it downloaded onto my computer), but the fuel consumption bug has been around for at least several MG versions.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:38 PM

If somebody can create a bug report on launchpad, I will try and correct it.

#8 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:16 AM

steamer_ctn, on 03 December 2021 - 12:38 PM, said:

If somebody can create a bug report on launchpad, I will try and correct it.

I filed a bug report on Launchpad on December 5th. I apologize for being tardy filing the bug report and for not posting earlier that I had filed it. Thanks in advance for your interest and assistance.

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

railguy, on 14 December 2021 - 06:16 AM, said:

I filed a bug report on Launchpad on December 5th. I apologize for being tardy filing the bug report and for not posting earlier that I had filed it. Thanks in advance for your interest and assistance.

Thanks for that.

I will have a look at it when I get a chance.

#10 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:13 PM

railguy, on 14 December 2021 - 06:16 AM, said:

I have now added a patch to hopefully allow fuel consumption to register whenever the diesel engine is running (starting and stopping above the starting rpm).

Can you please check it in the latest Unstable version and confirm that it is now working as expected now.

For future reference when submitting a bug report, can you also include the link to the relevant ET forum thread as reference.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users