• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE5 Terrtex Don't Need No Stinkin Aces! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:24 PM

By accident, I loaded a jpg while placing a terrtex tile. It placed just like an ace and works fine in OR after saving. So did a bitmap, I haven't tried others.
the wildflower patch is one I use for texture painting and is a jpg file. The rocks are also used for that and is saved as a bitmap. The screenshot is taken in OR. This means we don't need to convert files to aces when making custom terrtex tile :sign_rockon: :good2: :dance3:

Attached File  jpg in or.jpg (164.15K)
Number of downloads: 6

I just tried another thing, neither MakeAce or AceIt will convert an 8192x8192, but it will place and convert/work in TSRE5! I've wanted to experiment, in a few select places, with a pixel being slightly over 1/2 inch in size for some serious detail.

#2 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

Keep an eye on your file sizes.

Edit: If that's a concern.

#3 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:32 PM

Interesting story there, the initial file was 196,641 KB. I tried compressing it with AceIt and got an error message and it saved it with 0 KB. I also tried it with TGAT2A, it ran, then showed an "out of memory" error. I checked and it wrote a file, but re-opening it, garbled hash, very colorful. Well, I though, why not try it in the sim and see what happens. It worked perfectly and is 18,983 KB.

Well, what happens if I paint a texture on some of it? The painting went fine, I saved, and took a look in OR. It worked perfectly and the file size didn't change!

I don't know that I'll actually use them anywhere except trying ideas on my test route.

#4 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:12 PM

Yep, you can probably compress these down with DXT to make the size a bit more manageable but you'll lose some resolution in the process.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users