• You cannot reply to this topic

.rit and .tit Files in Open Rails Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is online   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 11 November 2021 - 02:45 PM

Weter, on 11 November 2021 - 11:47 AM, said:

David, Laci uses online translator to express himself in English.
The "Distorted" word is usually have some negative sence, but translation software doesn't catch Laci's idea.
Hungarian language is most difficult of European languages, so no wonder, it's hard to process. (26 cases it has)

As I understand his idea, rit/tit are maybe used to build MODIFIED-proportions map for being more well-seen at AE, rather, than, e.g. Trackviewer's representation of the same small scale.

Thank you very much for your help. Again, I used slang, plus the slang we use while working. I'm sorry about that.

With given scale, we won't see double track, if it wouldn't be modified-if I'm understanding that right.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Reducing it is disproportionate. In my work, I work with two types of drawings. One is a 1: 1000 scale site plan, the other is a distorted scale site plan. It is distorted because it uses a different scale in the cross direction than in the longitudinal direction. Moreover, scale is not the right approach. In short, a distorted drawing. Such drawings can be seen in the traffic offices at the stations. As usual, I use the distorted word instead of the modified one.

#32 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:07 PM

Well, this is international dialogue, so some forgiveness for not perfect English is appreciated.
But more essential would be kindly ask an extra question, if there would be some misunderstood.

On the other hand, and for some justice, I'd note, that persons, who use online translators should be more responsible, taking in account, how imperfect such machine-translations can be. So it has sense to speak simple and unambiguous for being translated the right way. Let's respect our English-speaking dialogue-mates and try not to force them guessing, what did we mean.
It's charming to use railroad slang of different countries, but I see it necessary to be explained immediately in simple words then.
Me personally do use online translator at important cases, when it's critical to be understood exactly the right way (some official annotations, for instance), but in such cases I use reversal translation then: I translate the English version of my texts back to original language, seeing, does the result match with what I suppose to say, and correct that places ot the English version, that haven't to be translated right, until the result exactly matches to my idea.

#33 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:48 PM

You guys deserve a nod of thanks for the extra work you do to write in English and i think, for the most part, you succeed.

A tip from the old days of my posting to usenet's soc.history."where ever" groups (pre-browser internet) when no translation services were available: when in doubt the phrase "by this I mean <clarifying example>" can work wonders. I found it so useful I continued to use it for many years afterwards in many debates where misunderstanding was highly probable.

Thanks again for your good work.

#34 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

:hi: again, Dave.
Well, the advice seems simple and effective.
In such a kind environment it's easier to behave ourselves the kind way.
The some kind spirit is somewhere around (not sure, whether that is a collective effort's result)
But sure, many of us are feeling good as being guests of D.H.Nelson's website.
IMHO, This phenomenon will have its place in history.
Nod of thanks in return.

And another thought: different cultures mean different approach, hence sometimes the simplicity of phrases is welcome.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users