Elvas Tower: Inserting cabview controls in side views of 2D cabs - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inserting cabview controls in side views of 2D cabs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:40 AM

Working on this http://www.elvastowe...2d-and-3d-cabs/ (where I have two issues open in 3D cabs) I saw that it would be possible to add a feature to insert cabview controls (e.g. horn button, brake lever, digital displays, gauges and so on) also in the side views of the 2D cabs.
In the .cvf file controls related to the side views must have line ORTSCabViewpoint ( 1 ) for the first side viewpoint listed in the .cvf file (usually the left one) and line
ORTSCabViewpoint ( 2 ) for the second side viewpoint.
A control which is present both in a side and in the main (center) viewpoint will need two entries in the .cvf file, one for the side one (with the additional above line) and one for the main viewpoint.
It works here.

#2 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 November 2021 - 02:34 PM

You really are giving us cab creators more and more presents, aren't you? :)

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 November 2021 - 01:21 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 04 November 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

Working on this http://www.elvastowe...2d-and-3d-cabs/ (where I have two issues open in 3D cabs) I saw that it would be possible to add a feature to insert cabview controls (e.g. horn button, brake lever, digital displays, gauges and so on) also in the side views of the 2D cabs.
In the .cvf file controls related to the side views must have line ORTSCabViewpoint ( 1 ) for the first side viewpoint listed in the .cvf file (usually the left one) and line
ORTSCabViewpoint ( 2 ) for the second side viewpoint.
A control which is present both in a side and in the main (center) viewpoint will need two entries in the .cvf file, one for the side one (with the additional above line) and one for the main viewpoint.
It works here.

Hi Carlo,

With reference to Managing multiple screen pages on a display in 2D and 3D cabs, where we discussed alternate views, I mentioned that I had discovered some years back that 2D cabs allowed for MORE than 2 side views (thank you for clarifying the proper terminology here!). From a proper terminology perspective, we can say that OR allows for "n" side views in 2D cabs. While not wanting to be silly here, would there be a possible allowance for possibly more ORTSCabViewpoint entries, perhaps a maximum of 4-6?

The reason for asking is that for "vintage" North American engineer control stands there is a lot of vertical area to cover with various levers and dials. Additionally, the conductor might also have a brake lever as well. Allowing for more ORTSCabViewpoint would give the modeller the flexibility for higher resolution and greater granularity of the controls for any one view in a 2D cab. With the changes you are allowing for it will allow the modeller to have an easier task of not having needles on dials that require animations with oblique angles!

For this casual reader of this post, using a high quality (read: high polygon and large textures) 3D cab as a basis for 2D cab views allows the option of not having to use a 3D cab at all. The more experienced model makers amongst us will recognize that a 2D cab is more "economical" in the sim and also the 2D cab allows for multiple fixed views that the user can easily navigate. This will all change when we have programmable multiple viewpoints for a 3D cab, but as of this writing there is no blueprint for this feature that I am aware of.

molte gracie, signore Carlo,

Steve

#4 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 05 November 2021 - 01:48 AM

Hi, Steve.
Thank you for developing the idea, i spoke some days back: that was about pre-set viewpoints for cabs.
Well, since we would have multiple viewports for 2-d cabs (furthermore-with funcional controls&gauges) - then that would be good (IMHO) alternative for 3-d cabs. I concur about more economy of computing resources.

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:58 AM

Looking at the code I believe that more than 2 "side" views are already managed by OR.

#6 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 November 2021 - 02:43 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 05 November 2021 - 05:58 AM, said:

Looking at the code I believe that more than 2 "side" views are already managed by OR.

Yes!!! That is very true.

What my post asks is whether you would allow for MORE THAN 2 side views WITH controls.

Thanks,

Steve

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:07 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 05 November 2021 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yes!!! That is very true.

What my post asks is whether you would allow for MORE THAN 2 side views WITH controls.

Thanks,

Steve

Yes of course.

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 06 November 2021 - 01:15 PM

First release of the feature is now available in ORNYMG 109.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 07 November 2021 - 02:42 AM

I had forgotten to add the "digital" cabview controls to the ones that can be displayed also in the side cabviewpoints. ORNYMG 109.1 corrects this.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:34 PM

First, thank you for progress in cab functionality.
Just a question: you said

I believe that more than 2 "side" views are already managed by OR.

So, if I understood it right, can we define more, than three viewpoints at the top of *.cvf-file, and then specify ORTSCabViewpoint (3),(4),(5),..., etc. for cab controls&gauges already?

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users