Horn at Whistle Board Toot horn at Whitle Boards Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Spoony81 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:18 PM

Weter, on 28 October 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

Well, I recall Sandpafch payware route.
During activity, when player doesn't blow horn, when passing whistle post, the activity terminates with fault report -j ust similar with, e.g. derailment, or steam engine failure.
Hence, MSTS dId know something about whistle posts, or?

The 3D Trainstuff Cajon route was that way. If you didn’t blow for crossings the activity would fail.

#12 User is offline   Spoony81 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

Weter, on 02 November 2021 - 04:37 AM, said:

If so, that's definitely the crossing item's influence, but not related to whistle posts themself, in any way.

I don't think 3DTS Tehachapi was set up that way. It was years ago but, I remember that I had just started an activity with Cajon when I came across the horn/crossing issue. With the newer and better freeware versions of Cajon I don't play the 3DTS version anymore. I run Tehachapi with the 3D Trains upgrade on occasion though

#13 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

darwins, on 28 October 2021 - 01:14 AM, said:

Is it not possible to add a new type of interactive object? Obviously this could only be placed on new routes (or in some cases edited into existing route updates) but still might be worth a thought.

Hi Folks,

Back to the original simple premise.

I think Darwin was on to something - only issue I see is we have no means to "place" a new interactive if we could create one.

Is there anything else we already have that can be detected by the code - how about siding labels? Could we use a predefined label such as "WB" to trigger the horn blow?

Regards,
Scott

#14 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:45 AM

We have signals.
There is allready a 'signal' type "SPEED", it would not be difficult to add a type "WHISTLE" (or, perhaps better, "_WHISTLE", as type with prefix "_" are reserved for internal use).
It will require some additional code to make trains aware of "_WHISTLE" signal locations, but it would be a lot easier than to create new objects or use siding markers.
One advantage is that there would be no need to alter route editors. Another is that it can have a shape. And using the signal 'state', one could even set different whistles within a route, e.g. short or long or multiple, with or without bells or specific lights etc.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#15 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 05 November 2021 - 03:05 AM

roeter, on 05 November 2021 - 12:45 AM, said:

We have signals.
There is allready a 'signal' type "SPEED", it would not be difficult to add a type "WHISTLE" (or, perhaps better, "_WHISTLE", as type with prefix "_" are reserved for internal use).
It will require some additional code to make trains aware of "_WHISTLE" signal locations, but it would be a lot easier than to create new objects or use siding markers.
One advantage is that there would be no need to alter route editors. Another is that it can have a shape. And using the signal 'state', one could even set different whistles within a route, e.g. short or long or multiple, with or without bells or specific lights etc.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Hi Rob,

Thanks - now THAT's what I'm talk'n about - I like it.
:)

Speed signs have the added benefit of being directional in nature.

Regards,
Scott

#16 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:36 AM

The problem is that whistle boards AFAIK aren't an interactive; in other words, OR has no way to know where the whistle boards are located. What you can do is setting a horn blow waiting point for every whistle point for every path, which unfortunately is a long procedure.

In Hungary, the location of whistle boards is determined by a formula. The track speed is five times the result and the result is in meters. At 80km / h it is 400 meters. Track speed is the design speed of a railway track. Any speed limits do not matter when scaling.

https://kephost.net/p/2021/44/6929_ecec169a912b.png

Maybe this could start something.
It is not per station, but refers to the total length of a line that affects between several (many) stations.

#17 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:57 AM

roeter, on 05 November 2021 - 12:45 AM, said:

We have signals.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Greeting

Unfortunately, not everything can be solved by force, I mean from a program.
Of course, I’m aware that this is a pretty big job for track builders, but I think it would be worth it in the long run.
Maybe a reasonable compromise.
We have a 2,400-kilometer track that we are constantly developing. Not for length, but to take advantage of the opportunities offered by Open Rails. For example, we are constantly changing the clock of the stations to working.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

https://kephost.net/p/2021/33/5426_f9deecee609f.jpg

PS: This is what the overlift looks like if it is not solved out of track. The run-up run is missing depending on the arc radius and the design speed of the track.
I want this to be avoided.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users