• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Database... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:01 AM

For the benefit of an "old" relational database programmer with some minimal Object oriented skills, can someone either point me to either a document or discussion where the storage of the track database is defined. Based on what I've seen in the code....the track database is stored as a series of vectors, however it uses information in the world data files as well as the track data files. I know some of you make think this is a really basic question and it is.... for the life of me I cannot find a coherent description of how OprnRail stores the track data. (Documentation of objects within OpenRail I feel is lacking, and this hampers more developers from joining in) I'm thinking there is x, y, z where x is lat, y is lon, and z is elevation, but there is probably a inclination so you know if the track segment is ascending or descending. that's for just straight track...curves blow my mind...(Math)....but I'll start with a good explanation if anyone can help....

thanks

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

Download the Archibald program and use it to explore the structure of the .tdb. It's ancient but I'm pretty sure it is still at TS.com

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:53 AM

View PostAmtrak115, on 26 September 2021 - 08:01 AM, said:

For the benefit of an "old" relational database programmer....

I still speak SQL; IMO the .w files would be good candidates for storage in a relational database, especially w/ the world editor (probably better to export them for use in the game). The issue here is the lack of relational integrity as presented to the editor. Far too many routes were lost when track was removed and replaced with something else while the relationship to interactives was present. One could build the relational testing in the code and prevent the above example but neither KUJU or Goku have gone that far. One could also put the linked list into the .w file -- every next and previous road and track as well as any that are members of an interactives set but again, nobody has gone that far.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 September 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

Download the Archibald program and use it to explore the structure of the .tdb. It's ancient but I'm pretty sure it is still at TS.com

Archibald can also be downloaded from Steam4Me MSTS Utilities You,ll also need to install "Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1" ( dotnetfx.exe ) for the utilities to function.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users