Elvas Tower: Sluggish trains in old MSTS routes - Elvas Tower

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sluggish trains in old MSTS routes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   n.chiri 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 11-March 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:07 PM

I'm trying to solve an issue that is puzzling me. I want to use an old 2007 route in OR (https://www.trainsim...right&fid=19972) but the trains drive painfully slow, both in acceleration and especially in braking. Nowhere near as good as they did in MSTS. I'm aware OR manages adhesion in a very different way to MSTS, but I'm not sure what to do. I've tried to use OR-only ENG files to modify the adhesion values, and tried to play with the adhesion slider in the experimental options, but I feel nothing I do even slightly changes the sluggish behavior of these old trains.

I'm adding the links to the stock mentioned in the route's readme since I figure they are more relevant than the route itself in this case:
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=18496
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=19973
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=19627
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=19740
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=12728

#2 User is offline   griggs 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 04-May 19
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indianapolis, IN
  • Simulator:Train Simulator 2020
  • Country:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:23 PM

What are your settings for brake pipe charging rate and adhesion? I've noticed similar problems with the old GM&O Springfield Switch rollingstock until I made sure all the settings were "MSTS Compatible."

#3 User is offline   trainzman 

  • Engineer
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Posts: 526
  • Joined: 20-September 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Hampshire
  • Country:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:27 PM

Hi and welcome to Elvas Tower! I'm Matthew Mason Wood and what's your name?

#4 User is offline   n.chiri 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 11-March 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:16 AM

I tried setting brake pipe charge rate to 1000, and indeed it gives it a very simplistic feel that enables a MSTS-like operation of the brakes. But thanks to a friend I found an alternative way that doesn't interfere with global OR settings, although it requires modifying the original ENG files, since apparently there are things that can't be modified with alternative ENG files placed in an OpenRails folder inside the train's folder. I bumped up the max power (a value measured in hp instead of kN), max force and max continous force of these trains, and then changed the brakes to make them work in full notches instead of a percentage. This last thing can only be done by modifying the original ENG file.

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

  • Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Posts: 6,030
  • Joined: 31-December 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Country:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:11 AM

You can change everything with the .eng file in the Openrails subfolder. Simply copy the original .eng file in such subfolder and change there what you want.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

  • Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Posts: 1,927
  • Joined: 01-June 20
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Simulator:ORTS
  • Country:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:00 AM

Indeed: ORTS will read that (but diesel smoke looks as it was multiplied, BTW)

#7 User is offline   n.chiri 

  • Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 11-March 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Simulator:Open Rails
  • Country:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:37 AM

I have performed tests using modifier ENG files in a OpenRails folder inside the train folder. When I tried to modify braking parameters to get fully notched brakes, I noticed the fully notched brakes would only work once or twice. I think if I fully release the brakes once, the brakes will go back to their percentage-based functionality.

EDIT - In the end I could solve my problems. I added more power and also made the brakes notched for easier braking. I also wasn't doing the files of the OpenRails replacement folder correctly, now I'm using an entire ENG replacement instead of using the "include" command.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users