• You cannot reply to this topic

Manual Gearbox in OR Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:24 PM

I enjoyed the video. Thanks Laci.

Some more history. Getting off topic a bit. A railcar with hydro-mechanical transmission entered service in Northern Ireland in 1933.

"The first of these, No.1, was 56 ft (17 m) long and seated 61 passengers. It had a traditionally constructed wooden body and was powered by two Leyland 130 bhp (97 kW) petrol engines with hydraulic transmission in the form of Lysholm-Smith torque converters. No.1 was re-engined with Leyland diesels in 1947 and again in 1959." Wikipedia

Some 4-wheeled railcars with the same transmission entered service in Britain in 1934.

Also in 1934 another bogie railcar with petrol engines and Lysholm-Smith transmission was put into service in Australia.
The Rail Motor Society

Not sure when the transmission was first used for rail vehicles in Sweden or Germany.

#22 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 17 November 2021 - 11:50 PM

Thanks again. It seems likely from the need for ease of operation and the description about idling the engine and braking as needed that a freewheel would have been present in the automatic transmission.

Well, now the meaning of the freewheel has dropped (reminded me). Even though I was driving a car that was idling. The iconic vehicle of the German Democratic Republic (DDR), the Trabant. He was also a freewheel.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users