Elvas Tower: Space bar + Ctrl/Shift/Alt - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Space bar + Ctrl/Shift/Alt Reserved for future expansion Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:40 AM

With all the new features being added to Open Rails, our keyboard commands are getting used up. I believe we had a discussion thread (which I cannot now find) about supporting a sequence of keystrokes, such as:

• in Excel Alt+"I" followed by "R" inserts a new row of data
  • in Visual Studio, Ctrl+"K" followed by Ctrl+"C" comments out the current line or selection of code

I don't suppose this change will happen soon, as there are plenty of other pressing developments, but ORMT want to reserve the Ctrl+Space as an "escape" keystroke that would introduce a sequence.

As well as reserving Ctrl+Space, we will reserve all the other Space options: Shift+Space, Alt+Space, Ctrl+Shift+Space, Alt+Shift+Space, Ctrl+Shift+Space

Space Bar for the horn/whistle will not be affected.

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

Sort of on the subject of keyboard commands. I have sometimes pressed Alt+Tab ( Fast full-screen Alt+Tab ) and somehow missed the "Alt" key, and only hit the "Tab" thus clearing the forward signal. Has anyone else ever mentioned this? Can ( or should? ) this be changed?

#3 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

In MSTS, the TAb key can be used to request a signal. Many are still pushing out of habit.

#4 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:40 AM

TAB and Shift-TAB can be used to "clear" signals. (also in ORTS)

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 30 August 2021 - 10:40 AM, said:

With all the new features being added to Open Rails, our keyboard commands are getting used up. I believe we had a discussion thread (which I cannot now find) about supporting a sequence of keystrokes, such as:

It would be good to have a central register of available key commands for developers to choose from and also provide some guidance in the correct selection of a new key command (though I suspect that the horse has already bolted).

At the moment a developer seems to choose any key command that is not being used, and sometimes special keys (IMHO) have not been allocated to the most important use (for example using single key commands for the main operational controls of a locomotive). This register should be reviewed periodically by ORMT or whenever a new key command is added. It should also be updated by a developer who selects a new key as part of their PR. Thus this register would add some level of structure to the key command usage.

This register should be held in the OR development repository. This will ensure that reserved functions stay reserved, rather then relying on a thread, which over time gets lost and forgotten.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:20 PM

It would be good to reproduce that as an appendix to manual as well - for end-users can see all default keystrokes with their meanings at the same place.

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

I've often wondered about multi-key commands... I used them in a 2D card tool years ago and they extra key did not really slow me down.

Consider: BR to activate a braking function -- think: placing your hand on the brake handle, followed by a series of + and/ or - that remains active for more + and/or - until a different command is entered. Effectively much like a right mouse click to bring up a context specific menu that has a sub menu list of commands, one that remains active until you are done.

#8 User is offline   AuzGnosis 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 01 September 2021 - 10:21 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 01 September 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

It would be good to have a central register of available key commands for developers to choose from and also provide some guidance in the correct selection of a new key command (though I suspect that the horse has already bolted).

Totally agree Peter. Researching possible obstacles in doing a 3D cab of the NSWGR J-type Vauclain compounds I did compile a list of the the keyboard short-cuts mentioned in various bits of the locomotive documentation I could find. The keyboard short cuts were pleasantly fairly consistent irrespective of a locomotives nationality, motive power (steam, diesel or electric), or intend operational tasks (shunter, express what-ever). Ignoring the cultural divide of various traditional naming's of parts {a bibliography of such difference would be very helpful for new comers) Eg; Throttle lever (US+) = Regulator (UK+), Reversing lever (UK+) or Johnson bar (US+)}. However some keystrokes choices (I think it was to turn the cab-lights) in a diesel could not be guessed from very different set keystrokes to accomplish the same task in say a steam-locomotive.

Thus I'd be very interested in how all this will evolve.

Keep up the great work folks

#9 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:02 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 01 September 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

Good idea.

I have added the task as a card to the Open Rails Roadmap.

Any volunteers to do the work?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users