Elvas Tower: Unpowered Control Trailer - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpowered Control Trailer Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:47 PM

Over the years there have been numerous discussions about how to "fake" an unpowered control car for a train. Typically the normal solution has been to set up a locomotive with small power settings. This has not always produced the best outcome.

This thread is to advise that a project has started to work towards the development of a control trailer car.

Basic functionality has been added to the unstable version (EDIT: PR#449 ) to support the operation of a control trailer car, and a sample test model is available for demonstration of the feature. Currently only diesel connected control cars are being developed. Electric and steam ones maybe developed later.

This is currently a work in progress project so changes to the model and code may occur as the project moves forward.

Once you have tried the test model, any suggestions or feedback will be considered.

EDIT: This video might be of interest.

#2 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:29 AM

Great initiative Peter

I hope this project comes to fruition and soon we will be able to operate a locomotive, both diesel and electric, from a trailer car with a cabin.

#3 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:10 AM

Hello.

Thanks for this novelty. It’s very good because it makes the grip more real. So far, the very reduced power of the control car has not been proportional to the weight of the car. That is, it was possible to start in all circumstances.

ORTSNumberDriveAxles ( 2 )
ORTSDriveWheelWeight ( 20t-uk  ) Comment ( guess )

Do you need the code snippet above? Because the control car has no drive.
I am aware that some data is needed in the Engine section of the eng file, but is it all?
Should the power, torque, consumption data be real data, ie the same as the data on the rear locomotive? Because these are also there in the ORTSDieselEngines block. I can't check these because this HUD doesn't show. The old kind is unrealistic because you don’t know the control car.
Something happened to the color of the exhaust smoke, no longer as it was in January.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:50 AM

Hi. Just to clarify that is part of the eng file for the motor car. The trailer car does not have any driving axles.

On the motor car, as on many units with mechanical or hydraulic transmission only the inner axle of each bogie is driven - hence ORTSNumberDriveAxles ( 2 ) goes together with ORTSNumberAxles ( 2 ) Comment ( * 2 unpowered axles * ) - and from Mass ( 38t-uk ) there is then a guess that there is slightly greater mass on the inner powered axles - this could be wrong and the reality might be ORTSDriveWheelWeight ( 19t-uk ).

The unit configuration would be 1A' A1' + 2' 2'

#5 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

https://kephost.net/p/2021/36/436_87bead4db175.png

This is a detail of the control car eng file released as a demo. To me, this seems like a simple copy that has been supplemented with -Powered characters in the right places. So I asked if every line is needed in the Engine section?
ORTSNumberDriveAxles (2) indicates the driven wheels in the Engine section if the vehicle is powered.
ORTSNumberAxles (X) would be more correct in the Wagon section because the control car does not have power. There is an exception, but I don’t want to bring it up yet. The foundations should be good so you can build on them.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

PS:
-Powered means energy-free control car.

#6 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:35 AM

View Postdarwins, on 06 September 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Hi. Just to clarify that is part of the eng file for the motor car. The trailer car does not have any driving axles.

On the motor car, as on many units with mechanical or hydraulic transmission only the inner axle of each bogie is driven - hence ORTSNumberDriveAxles ( 2 ) goes together with ORTSNumberAxles ( 2 ) Comment ( * 2 unpowered axles * ) - and from Mass ( 38t-uk ) there is then a guess that there is slightly greater mass on the inner powered axles - this could be wrong and the reality might be ORTSDriveWheelWeight ( 19t-uk ).

The unit configuration would be 1A' A1' + 2' 2'

Yes, it's okay. I also have a vehicle where I was able to apply the ORTSNumberAxles (x) and ORTSNumberDriveAxles (x) rows in the right places. Of course, this is also true for the ORTSDriveWheelWeight (x) line.

#7 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:06 AM

Yes, sorry I forgot there was also a powered version of the unpowered control trailer in the pack!

I don't think that it is intended for general usage. I think the purpose is to compare the behaviour of the unpowered unpowered car, with a powered unpowered car to make sure that things like cab views, cab controls, lights, brakes and so on function correctly in the unpowered car.

#8 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:47 AM

I had no problem with them. I would have indicated then. Moreover, even the grip is very good. When grinding, the wheels of the vehicle at the rear are ground. This is very good too.
If I find anything else I will write.

#9 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:55 PM

Until now, the Type () parameter used OR (but also MSTS) only in the Wagon section.
Now it appears for the second time in the Engine section and with a different value.
OR is ready for such an entry in the .eng file (Engine section)?

In my experience, OR ignores all other parameters of the same name (or their different values). It always uses the first parameter it finds written in the .eng or .wag file. Others of the same name will skip.

#10 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:49 PM

Hello.

To the best of my knowledge, I would write that the Type () in the Wagon section makes the difference between a locomotive and a car. in the section Engine Type () specify the type of resource of the locomotive.
It’s very uncertain now, especially when I think about how many locomotives need to be rewritten. In the Wagon section, replace the Type (Engine) entry with Type (Diesel). This is just an example.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users