Elvas Tower: Unpowered Control Trailer - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpowered Control Trailer Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 10 October 2021 - 07:02 AM

Hello.

I would like to ask, what will be the next step? Will the energy-free control car also be developed for the BrakeSystemType ("Air_twin_pipe") system or not? Unfortunately, we still have a lot of them on the market.

Yours sincerely, Laci 1959

#62 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 October 2021 - 04:23 PM

Laci1959, on 10 October 2021 - 07:02 AM, said:

I would like to ask, what will be the next step? Will the energy-free control car also be developed for the BrakeSystemType ("Air_twin_pipe") system or not? Unfortunately, we still have a lot of them on the market.

I have a number of other projects on the go at the moment, so there may not be any fast progress with this development.

I would however hope that twin pipe systems should work with it. If not now, then at some time in the future.

#63 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 11 October 2021 - 12:13 AM

Thanks.

#64 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 11 October 2021 - 12:37 AM

steamer_ctn, on 10 October 2021 - 04:23 PM, said:

I have a number of other projects on the go at the moment, so there may not be any fast progress with this development.

I would however hope that twin pipe systems should work with it. If not now, then at some time in the future.

Absolutely no development expected for the control car in the near future?
Development of electric heating?

#65 User is offline   systema 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:44 AM

The Unpowered Control feature doesn't seem to work for me on a DMU with gears. If I go to the unpowered trailer car I cannot select a gear.

I can release the brakes and rev the engine but can't go anywhere.

Mick Clarke
MEC

#66 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

systema, on 08 December 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

The Unpowered Control feature doesn't seem to work for me on a DMU with gears. If I go to the unpowered trailer car I cannot select a gear.

I can release the brakes and rev the engine but can't go anywhere.

Mick Clarke
MEC

Work is still on going with gears. It has been a very long slow process. Fingers crossed that when the work is complete, Peter will serve us up another masterpiece. Watch this space.

#67 User is offline   systema 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:13 PM

darwins, on 08 December 2021 - 10:32 AM, said:

Work is still on going with gears. It has been a very long slow process. Fingers crossed that when the work is complete, Peter will serve us up another masterpiece. Watch this space.

OK, I look forward to the control feature being able to deal with gears. Meanwhile I will have to stick with my work round and have a very low powered Trailer car with normal controls.

Mick Clarke
MEC

#68 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:01 AM

Some of the issues with brake operation relate to the operation of driving trailer vehicles (and work arounds that have been used to create them).

Control Trailers for Electric Trains (also diesel electric, diesel hydraulic and diesel mechanical or diesel hydro-mechanical trains with automatic transmission) should be able to work with all of the following brake types:

Vacuum_Single_Pipe
(vacuum twin pipe)
(electro vacuum)
Air_Single_Pipe *
Air_Twin_Pipe
EP
(direct EP)
SME
(SMEE)

Control Trailers for trains with Manual Gear Change (diesel mechanical or diesel hydro-mechanical) should be able to work with:

Vacuum_Single_Pipe
(vacuum twin pipe)
Air_Single_Pipe *
...and possibly others!

Control Trailers for Steam Trains should be able to work with:

Vacuum_Single_Pipe #
Air_Single_Pipe *
...and possibly others!

* Air_Single_Pipe brakes on driving trailers have a second air supply pipe which provides air to the driver's brake controller for the release of brakes, it is not clear if this should be defined in ORTS as Air_Twin_Pipe or if this is better dealt with in some other way.

# In some (or all) cases of steam propelled trailers, the driver is only able to apply the brake. To release the brake in such cases the driver sounds an electric bell signal to tell the fireman to release the brakes from the locomotive.

#69 User is online   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:36 AM

@Laci

In the thread on brakes you posted a picture of a steam loco with a push pull train.

You have explained that there was an extra air pipe from the loco to the driving trailer to allow for brake release.

Please can you give information about the other control systems? Were they worked by electricity or by compressed air?

Could the driver control the reverser from the driving trailer?

In British push pull trains the driver could only control the regulator and the brake. The driver could not change the reverser setting from the trailer cab. In some cases the driver could not even release the (vacuum) brake and needed to give a bell signal for the fireman to release the brake from the locomotive.

They were also some very impressive steam Push-Pull trains used in France on the Paris suburban services, so it would be interesting to get details from anyone in France also.

#70 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:51 AM

# In some (or all) cases of steam propelled trailers, the driver is only able to apply the brake. To release the brake in such cases the driver sounds an electric bell signal to tell the fireman to release the brakes from the locomotive.

Hello.

I saw it in a German newspaper modeling vehicle where a servo motor operated the steering lever (Cutoff) and the regulator. The servomotor was connected to the steering lever and the regulator by a motorcycle chain.
Just an interesting thing.
In Hungary, the driver's brake valve in the control car was fully operational. That is, he was able to brake and release the brakes without the help of the driver behind him. There was a pressure sensor in the brake air pipe that automatically shut off the steam below a certain pressure value. KNORR 6 brake valve in emergency brake position. Probably that’s why the control car had its own main air tank at the time.
Start pushing: three long beeps
Speed ​​it up
Slow
End push: two long, short, long, short, short beeps.
A driver with line knowledge did not have to ring. You saw the start signal or heard the "train start" beep and it has already started. It used to be mandatory to give a "train start" beep to a driver. In the case of a shuttle train, of course, it had to be given to the driver working in front.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users