• You cannot reply to this topic

Eng Files for USA diesels Looking for data... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 August 2021 - 02:51 AM

ENG files published with accurate physics for 176 USA diesel locos

mentioned on the Open Rails web page now seems to be a dead link. Does someone on here know where they have gone?

I am particularly interested to get the OR Diesel Engine data for any of the following if available

( 1 ) F40PH-2 or SD40E or similar
( 2 ) GP39 or SD39 or similar
( 3 ) EMD DE30AC or DM30AC or similar
( 4 ) EMD F125

Interested also if anyone has acess to data on British or German manufactured prime movers. Good to know the curves of power vs rpm under load and no load, but otherwise we might guess a straight line relationship between rpm and power. Things are more difficult regarding fuel consumption, so it would be good to have more data. I have some data mostly for older engines 1940s-60s, it would be good to get figures for more modern engines, they are presumably more efficient, but by how much?

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:01 AM

The de30ac is powered by a Prime mover EMD 12-710G3B-EC, so details should be available?

The sd39 had motor and power details here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD39

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:04 AM

darwins, on 08 August 2021 - 02:51 AM, said:

mentioned on the Open Rails web page now seems to be a dead link. Does someone on here know where they have gone?

I am particularly interested to get the OR Diesel Engine data for any of the following if available

That link on the OR page was a reference to the Standard Engine files that I made for public domain use. You will probably be interested in the comments section at the beginning of each file. I did quite a lot of digging around the web, actual library reading, forum searches....and relying upon Bob Boudoins work and Derek Mortons work in MSTS physics.
Those files mentioned on the OR page are available for download in the TS library...Version2 and Version2 updates. I thought they were here...but I cannot find them?

I've attached my current working set...which I'm slowly revising and correcting. Any questions, feel free to PM me. Gerry

Ps...you cannot go wrong downloading all of Bob Boudoins physics files ( at TS library ... I don't remember if the specific locomotives you mentioned are included )

Ps...and a big thank you to both Bob and Derek for all the email help they provided...invaluable, wonderfully generous of both of them!

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:02 AM

Many thanks for posting here Gerry. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

#5 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:03 AM

darwins, on 08 August 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

Many thanks for posting here Gerry. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

I promise you will love Gerry's work! He has done a marvelous job with these updated physics files.

#6 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

darwins, on 08 August 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

The files are also fairly easy to modify to a specific locomotive if you want. I'm working on converting most of the standard files for EMD 567 powered locomotives to work with NAVS GP sound files, adjusting the throttle settings to more realistic values (eg: 0, 5%, 11%...instead of 0, 12.5, 25...). Then a bit of tinkering to adjust the RPM to fit the sound files.

Douglas

#7 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:18 PM

The files are also fairly easy to modify to a specific locomotive if you want. I'm working on converting most of the standard files for EMD 567 powered locomotives to work with NAVS GP sound files, adjusting the throttle settings to more realistic values (eg: 0, 5%, 11%...instead of 0, 12.5, 25...). Then a bit of tinkering to adjust the RPM to fit the sound files.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif
Exactly what I want. There are some British and European locomotives with EMD and Caterpillar engines. I have little idea how they perform in terms of rpm vs Power vs Fuel Consumption - this should help me a lot.

#8 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 09 August 2021 - 02:22 PM

Elmo313, on 09 August 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

adjusting the throttle settings to more realistic values (eg: 0, 5%, 11%...instead of 0, 12.5, 25

Where are your realistic values coming from?

#9 User is offline   Elmo313 

• Hostler

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:32 PM

engmod, on 09 August 2021 - 02:22 PM, said:

Where are your realistic values coming from?

The point I'm trying to make is to play with Gerry's .inc files. Make backups, then play. Tweak something here, see what happens. Learn about what Open Rails can and can't do. See what happens if you take out the TE curve...great, now I know what it does. And as I learn, if I get interested enough, then I'll go looking for realistic values, although I sure Gerry did more than adequate research if I read his comments.

Every now and then I make a change and find I like the way it makes the locomotive behave. That's really all. Like setting the RPM to match the 567 sounds from NAVS. Speaking only for myself, and for no one else, I like my diesels with the first throttle setting at 5, not 12.5. And I like them to have the same RPM at throttle 5 as they do at idle. So I made some changes to the Std_Loco_*****.inc to do this.

Now I'll go do some research to find out what the real values are.

#10 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 August 2021 - 07:22 AM

Elmo313, on 09 August 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

Douglas

When I finally get around to issuing another update I will probably add include files that automatically take care of this (like I did with the 645E3). In the interim, the SLI GP9 upgrade package I did has include files for a 567C ( SLIGPCNV.ZIP ).

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users