Curtius Kniffler Adhesion parameter Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:02 PM

View Postjoe_star, on 10 November 2021 - 03:48 AM, said:

I actually went watching some wheel slippage videos on Youtube after the fact. Its clear that sand dumping is a big no-no. Will read more into prototypical handling of wheel slippage and see how i fare in OR after this :)

I don't know what video's you have watched, but sanding increases tractive effort in most conditions.
It is used by ALL railways.

https://en.wikipedia...dhesion_railway

#42 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

View Postengmod, on 11 November 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

I don't know what video's you have watched, but sanding increases tractive effort in most conditions.
It is used by ALL railways.

https://en.wikipedia...dhesion_railway

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to continuously sanding (i.e dumping sand) the track even when stationary (like I was doing in my video). Going through discussions gave me the impression this is not desirable, rather judicious application to initiate and sustain movement.

I have no doubt sanding itself is used everywhere to some degree

#43 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:37 AM

View Postjoe_star, on 11 November 2021 - 04:32 PM, said:

Reporting back that the helper locomotive now is indeed under the advanced adhesion model,and shows similar characteristics to the main locomotive at starting.

Coming back to the adhesion model, I still am curious why the weather coefficient was applied to the entire C-K equation (A,B,C) when the original C-K equation only the "C" factor really changes with weather conditions. Was this based on additional research perhaps?

Hi Joe,

Hah - caught my attention - while wheel slip in realistic conditions would be more than welcome - we need some means to retard the animation of the running gear while slipping - going from 5 RPM to 100000 RPM in a millisecond and the distorted sounds that come with it - seems to ruin the effect - at least for me. I've spent a bunch of time looking at steam locomotives slipping - and - they don't slip like we see in ORTS. I'm of no help with the equations calculating slippage - unfortunately.

Regards,
Scott

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users