Elvas Tower: More Brake Enhancements - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More Brake Enhancements Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:38 PM

Air twin pipe is a special case of air brake system, spreaded in USA and maybe UK (as I understand).

Air twin pipe is not common in USA, but is a UIC "standard" braking system widely used in Europe and Asia.

It seems to have a strange history. The origin was from Westinghouse in USA. It was first used on electric multiple unit trains. The second pipe is called the "Main Reservoir Pipe" or MRP. The original purpose was to connect together all the main reservoirs on all the motor cars so that they acted as one large reservoir when units were joined in multiple.

It was much later after the introduction of EP braking that it was realised that the MRP could be used to directly charge auxiliary reservoirs, or to supply air for other applications.

The modern twin pipe system developed from that.

More recently EP systems have abandoned the brake pipe altogether. It has been replaced by an electric circuit. In this systems the Main Reservoir Pipe supplies all the air for braking and for other purposes.

Another variation is the SME or Westinghouse-Henry type of braking where the brake pipe is used only for emergency braking and normal braking air is supplied directly to brake cylinders by a straight air pipe. The Westinghouse-Henry system was used by some railways in France and Switzerland. Today the EP version (SMEE) is widely used in Japan and on subways and railcars in USA. This is the type of brake on the Australian railcars also.

In UK the twin pipe air brake idea was also copied for vacuum brakes to make a quick release vacuum brake for diesel multiple units.

#32 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:30 PM

Exactly!
Thank you for such review.
Saying concrete about situation here: To retain compatibility with freight stock/locomotives, BP is used for classic braking and for safety reasons (tear of train cases and stop-valves at carriages, actuated by passengers/staff in case of emergency).
Straight/feeding/main reservoir pipe is only at: locomotives, EMUs, and freight cars, using air for freight operations (dumpcars, hopper-dozers, MOW machines)
EP brakes (1- or 5- wired) connect BC with BP directly. Pneumatic part of driver's valve performs "lap-with feeding" function then, so air, used for BCs actuating is resupplied/replenished through driver's valve (from MR on leading locomotive/head control car). Auxiliary reservoirs are not used and perform only emergency deposite of compressed air function, when BP is discharged for any reason.

#33 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:20 AM

View PostWeter, on 24 September 2021 - 04:30 PM, said:

Straight/feeding/main reservoir pipe is only at: locomotives, EMUs, and freight cars, using air for freight operations (dumpcars, hopper-dozers, MOW machines)

This is exactly what I want to model.
That the MRP does not fill the auxiliary tank with air, but the auxiliary tank is filled with the required air by the BP.
Because in our country not only locomotives / freight wagons / motor trains work that way, but also passenger cars.
Moreover, it would be necessary for the correct use of control carriages.
That's why I suggested that command on the previous page.

I don’t write as hurt or criticize, but many times I feel like the program is being developed for a particular country or countries and those who aren’t in those countries and are recommending them aren’t being listened to. I'm sorry.

#34 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:06 PM

I don’t write as hurt or criticize, but many times I feel like the program is being developed for a particular country or countries and those who aren’t in those countries and are recommending them aren’t being listened to. I'm sorry.

Whether that is made intentionally, or no, but that seems so, from time to time, for me too. At motorized EMU cars, air from Feeding magistral used to actuate brake cylinders in some models, but that works only at EPT mode. If no-the usual mode is applied.

#35 User is online   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 02 June 2022 - 08:01 AM

Hello!

Please, I'm looking everywhere but I can't find anything on the subject. I take advantage of the thread to ask:

Is it possible to simulate in Open Rails the behavior of the Parking Brake (or Hand Brake)?

Is it possible to incorporate an in-cab control to manage it?

Thank you very much.

#36 User is online   VAPOR3D 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:39 PM

View PostWeter, on 02 June 2022 - 11:55 AM, said:

Hello.
The only way I know is through F9 menu, but there is a keystroke too (Shift +brake buttons, IIRC) see manual.
Also, there are hand braked cars implemented (as an only brake system) by Steamer_CtN.

Thanks, Weter.

It would be interesting to be able to animate a control like the one on the left (HAND BRAKE "FRENO DE MANO") of this my last 3D cabin, without using tricks or gimmicks. And it's strange to me that this kind of control still doesn't exist in the simulator, when in the wagons it does work (but only through F9).

Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-06-03 12-58-03.jpg

#37 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 02 June 2022 - 08:33 PM

As I said, not only: you can see also keyboard options for finding-out brakeman's commands.
But unfortunately, there is no animated cab control, as You noted.
To use generic control function for that is non-optimal.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users