• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Electric Train Supply Just an interrogation... Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:09 AM

...as in real life, the separate generator is attached for heating electricity producing

Not always the case. Particularly for some older locomotives that were built with steam heating boilers and later converted to provide electric heating. There were some locomotives of this kind in UK where power for the Electric Train Heating was taken directly from the main generator. Notably class 31/4 which had significantly less traction power when providing power for electric heating.

In Hungary, for locomotives with train heating, when the train heating is switched on, the speed of the diesel engine increases from idle to an increased speed.
More practically, the idle speed is 650 l / min with the train heating on at 1034 l / min.

This is common in many countries. I beleive in some cases in UK locos that provide electric power for the train have an idle speed that is always greater than locos that are not fitted for this.

How could this be done in OR?

I don't think this is possible at the moment. As Erik says above

anything providing electric power at the head end without an auxiliary diesel engine is going to be running on a totally different throttle schedule, so it will require a different ENG file

So for example at the moment I am trying to model the Australian XPT. This has two similar diesel locomotives, one of which provides a "Hotel Supply" for the train air conditioning. They each have a different eng file.

The regular loco has

ThrottleRPMTab (
0 750
20 751
40 1000
60 1150
80 1350
100 1500
)

but the one providing power for the train has

ThrottleRPMTab (
0 1000
20 1001
40 1002
60 1150
80 1350
100 1500
)

In terms of power output at the rail then the loco providing the 'Hotel Supply' delivers 200kW less power at the rail.

It would be good if we could have a switch to change from one to the other. Another example to add to this list Options within eng files

In the meantime where can I find some instructions about how to set up electric train heating or air conditioning?

Some passenger carriages were dual heated. In ORTS can we specify both steam heating and electric heating parameters in the same wag file?

What about diesel multiple unit trains? The "locomotive" or power car is usually also a passenger car. Is it possible to specify these as consumers of power as well as producers of power?

#12 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:46 AM

The engine power calculation seems to be correct with the heater on.
In the case of the Hungarian M41 locomotive, the engine power of the 1336kW auxiliary power is 75 kW, the heating is 250kW, and the power measured after the advertising engine is 1010 kW and if the data is entered correctly in the eng pain, the load will never exceed 100%.In my opinion, however, we need a parameter to maximize the heating power of the locomotive. For example: ORTSDieselEngineMaxHeatingPower (250kW) so that such engine power above 100% cannot be generated.

View Postdarwins, on 23 July 2021 - 09:09 AM, said:

What about diesel multiple unit trains? The "locomotive" or power car is usually also a passenger car. Is it possible to specify these as consumers of power as well as producers of power?

This is definitely not working now.
I tried with a diesel control car which is defined as a diesel locomotive, typing the appropriate commands in the "wagon part", the program stops with an error message.

View Postdarwins, on 23 July 2021 - 09:09 AM, said:

I don't think this is possible at the moment. As Erik says above

Thank you, I'm sorry.
I thought it could be solved with "C # scripting", but then we still have to wait for this feature. So without a turn upright, unfortunately, the thing is very unrealistic.

I apologize for any misspellings, I use google translate to communicate with you.

Best regards. :)

#13 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:07 PM

Yes.
Since MSTS had parameter about compressor's power consumption, why not to have similar definition for heating power?

#14 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:16 PM

Hello

In my opinion, however, we need a parameter to maximize the heating power of the locomotive. For example: ORTSDieselEngineMaxHeatingPower (250kW) so that such engine power above 100% cannot be generated.

I would rather generalize "ORTSEngineMaxHeatingPower" so it would be good for electric locomotives as well. Plus, unlike a diesel locomotive, there’s only one performance. You may want to add "ORTSElectricTrainSupply" as appropriate.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Yours sincerely, Laci 1959

#15 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

Another kind of double-heating: own coal-boilers plus 3kV electric calorifers or heaters in each carriage.

We can use wagon smoke special effect for the coal boiler.

The CIWL sleeping cars for the Night Ferry had all three types of heating.

(1) steam heating for the trains when built plus coal stoves for use when on board the ship and being shunted.

(2) electric heating later added as well, I think used in France first then later in UK (possibly with a different electrical system)

#16 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

View PostLaci1959, on 23 July 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

Hello

I would rather generalize "ORTSEngineMaxHeatingPower" so it would be good for electric locomotives as well. Plus, unlike a diesel locomotive, there’s only one performance. You may want to add "ORTSElectricTrainSupply" as appropriate.
I'm just thinking out loud.

Yours sincerely, Laci 1959

Hello!

In the case of electric locomotives, it would not hurt to maximize either, as they cannot supply an infinite amount of energy to the car either, since according to the UIC and other rules, the maximum current of the heating main is 800A.
The heating overcurrent value of the Hungarian V43 locomotive is 525A, which is 787 kW at 1500V.

#17 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:33 AM

View Postmozdonyos, on 23 July 2021 - 11:46 AM, said:

I thought it could be solved with "C # scripting", but then we still have to wait for this feature. So without a turn upright, unfortunately, the thing is very unrealistic.

This is already available (without scripts): I added a parameter called Engine(ORTSElectricTrainSupply(DieselEngineMinRpm to set this minimum rotation speed.
(And this is the moment when I see that I forgot to talk about it in the manual...)

#18 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:13 AM

View PostSerana, on 24 July 2021 - 01:33 AM, said:

This is already available (without scripts): I added a parameter called Engine(ORTSElectricTrainSupply(DieselEngineMinRpm to set this minimum rotation speed.
(And this is the moment when I see that I forgot to talk about it in the manual...)

Now that is fascinating. So I could set it to one speed for normal operation and another for HEP mode? I will need to experiment with this.

#19 User is offline   mozdonyos 

• Apprentice

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:38 AM

View PostSerana, on 24 July 2021 - 01:33 AM, said:

Hi Serana!

This is fantastic! Working perfectly! Thank you very much! :handsdown: :dance3:

Although I use it for a diesel-hydraulic locomotive, and it also takes into account the lines of the traction curve in the range below the heating speed, which is not the case with this type of locomotive in reality, I know that the hydraulic locomotive has not yet been modeled for the program.

Can these things be expected to be refined yet?
For example, the maximum heating output,
Or that the electric heating function can also be used on vehicles defined as locomotives?

Thank you again for your work and with all due respect! :)

#20 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:45 AM

Hm, damn right:
Some modern coaches has own generators, driven from wheel-pair for supplying air conditioners, lamps etc.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users