Following wagons on hump yard operation Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:26 PM

View PostWeter, on 22 October 2021 - 12:40 PM, said:

There are bleed-off valves operation strings at train operations window (called by F9)
This will open BCs to atmosphere, so brakes will be released for coasting after decoupling.
Just as in real-life operations at sorting hills.
Bur we have no wagon retarders, or speed managers with their brake-shoes at the downhill park, so cars will not be stopped on storing tracks.
Hence, cars will run away from park then.

Would placing an old MSTS invisio-car consist on the track at the downhill park stop the cars? A clumsy trick, but it might work.

#22 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:52 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 22 October 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

Would placing an old MSTS invisio-car consist on the track at the downhill park stop the cars? A clumsy trick, but it might work.

Or . . . a location event to slow/stop the cars?
vince

#23 User is offline   DirtyRam 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:36 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 22 October 2021 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hey Gerry, actually when we flat switched in yards we would put a few cars at other end ( taking the room ). Then we would tie on handbrakes nice and tight and kick cars into the tracks. As the yard I'm talking about had a slight down grade ( Parkdale Yard in Toronto ) thats how we kept cars from running out the other end. So your idea isn't so far fetched. If a yard is on level ground ( Lambton Yard ) it will be sloped from both ends down into the middle. Even though usually you can't tell by looking at it.

Mike

#24 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

What a nice discussion, gentlemen!
I do like every post up there.

Well, in order of appearance:

@ Gerry
I find this idea quite good, so far, at ORTS there is no derailments after strucking with standstill objects, at ANY speed.
But, the only thing: when the plan of activity would contain further operations with formed consists, there will be visual gaps, if inviso cars will be situated between first actual car and locomotive/other consist's actual car.
Or we should try with zero-length/minimal-length shaped invisos.

@ Vince
Sounds very nice for me, but I can't imagine: how events would work in such situation: what the way, they would help to manage coasting locomotiveless cars speed?

@ Mike
First, instead of pre-positioned cars, the braking shoes, pre-placed on rails could be used here. I'll search for the pictures for you...See UPDATE at very bottom.
But certainly, the game can't do it for us nowadays.
Second: every inbound-outbound track, when the park is on level ground (the flat) is recommended to profile (during construction/maintenance) as you said: with ends slight elevated/middle slight lowered.
Aside of preventing loose consists to escape from siding, this will help on coupling-uncoupling operations, and (what is more important) for starting heavy trains to either direction, because all consist is compressed towards it's center. So there is a good amount of couplers slack. Engine will start cars one-by one, what is easier.

Summary:
We can, of course, train on rolling down our train via explore mode, but:
Who would prevent us to establish a special activity, where some cars are already at downhill park's tracks?
Obvious, if such, we can place real cars there, no need to deal with invisos.
Then, things will look, as Mike adviced. Quite real look-like.

Upd, for Mike&others:
Some pictures&reference:
https://ru.wikipedia...%BC%D0%B0%D0%BA
As you can see, this works as a brake, sliding upon rail's head with moving car's wheel.

More "special thing" looks like that:
https://ru.m.wikiped...ный_замедлитель

#25 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:56 PM

https://kephost.net/p/2021/42/5333_5446876c4cf5.png

Hello.

Schematic sketch of the construction of a hump yard. It only works in one direction. Smaller stations may have a flatter design, two-way. On the 15-thousandth slope, there are detours (Pnt) and any track brakes.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

#26 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:24 AM

Тhat's what I looked for! Thank you, Laci.
Let's see and discuss:
We can see 2-track mainline.
Bottom track is uneven (west-east directed), upper-even.
Further to the North, we see 3 parks (group of tracks with same purpose)
In PARALLEL arrangement (what helps to save space along the line, but demands much space aside)
J is outbound park, F is inbound, and R is sorting park.
As draw-out spur used, we see so-called semi-hill design here.
In LINE arrangement (see Odessa's layout at post #9 above), two first parks would be placed instead of draw-out spurs - at sides of the sorting park.
As you have noted, this system sorts cars from left to right, so very big sorting stations have two opposite systems of parks.

I would say about profile separately: that slight uphill is essential for easy uncoupling of train parts.
The bottleneck below the slope has very specific design, so you can easy recognize sorting parks, looking aerial images, or maps.

#27 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:04 PM

@Weter

Hello.
Weter You know the lowlands track. I pushed out two 4-axle loaded cars from Pilisvörösvár station at a speed of 5 km / h. On the way, I shut off the air pipes and unhooked them on the slope. I rolled after them to the Angyalföld station.
This has actually happened for about 50 years. Those wagons stopped at the Danube Bridge. True, the parking brake on one of the cars was applied.
So there’s nothing wrong with rolling, maybe the slope of the hump yard isn’t good.

#28 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:01 AM

View PostWeter, on 25 October 2021 - 12:12 PM, said:

2-nd route towards Eztergom?

Yes. Between Solymár and Pilisvörösvár there is a fall of 7 per thousand towards the Danube. It is under Pilisvörösvár.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users