Menu Options Can we simplify them? Rate Topic: -----

#221 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:50 AM

Hello.

To # 211.
The KNORR KE steering valve family used in Hungary does not have such a function. I also think it should be placed in the wag file in the cars that use it. If this entry does not exist, do not consider it an error.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#222 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the previous 2 controls.

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 07 January 2022 - 09:10 PM, said:

I am not 100% sure what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that OR should advise users if they are not using a possible feature?

Yes, where there is a feature that the user's content does not have and that would improve the performance of the simulation. I wrote about it here. Of course, it should not be intrusive, but helpful.

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 07 January 2022 - 09:10 PM, said:

I would suggest that a check of all cars is done at startup, and if the train has a mix of retained and non-retained cars then a message is displayed in the log file indicating this.

That's a good idea.

The next option on the General Tab is:

Attached Image: 2022-01-09 20_23_33-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

The Manual has:

Attached Image: 2022-01-09 20_23_47-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

I see no issues with this (except the file path no longer needs the folder "Trunk").

#223 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2022 - 03:56 PM

View PostWeter, on 09 January 2022 - 01:23 AM, said:

So, as I said, this function was later integrated to more sophisticated designs of some freight air bistributors.

Ok. But is it still available to older methods of braking?

#224 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 January 2022 - 05:54 PM

Yes, of course: as I said too, there was a switch on such distributors for choosing between regular and mountain mode.

#225 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:47 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 07 January 2022 - 12:25 PM, said:

Mine too.

Although I've suggested ways to notify and prompt users, I can't think up a way to notify/prompt users that this is a feature they could benefit from. Unlike some other extra WAG file parameters, the absence of the parameter does not indicate a missed opportunity.

The next control on the General Tab is:

Attachment 2022-01-07 20_17_11-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

and the Manual reads:

Attachment 2022-01-07 20_17_25-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

The Manual also states "This option should be unchecked, except for compatibility problems with old MSTS stock."

It would be much better if Open Rails could detect automatically that the user's content is "old MSTS stock". Does anyone know what might be different about "old MSTS stock" in this instance?

The problem with identifying old MSTS stock is that it is more or less correct in some cases but wrong in others. What happened was that everyone copied and pasted a default set of brake values from the MSTS default files.

For US and North American users - single pipe brakes, without graduated release and including an emergency reservoir then the MSTS values are more or less correct.

For older European brakes - single pipe without graduated release is fine, but there should not be any emergency reservoir in most cases.

For modern UIC standard twin pipe brakes with graduated release then the MSTS values are more or less wrong!

For EP brakes it rather depends on the system in use.

Vacuum brakes always have graduated release, but do not have triple valves or emergency reservoirs - MSTS default values work for them.

Personal view: remove the item from the menu, but other than providing a warning that a train has a mix of non-graduated release "triple_valve" with graduated release "graduated_release_triple_valve" or "distributor" there is not much more that can be done. (Unless you really want a warning - some vehicles have MSTS default brakes!)

#226 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:53 AM

View Postdarwins, on 09 January 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

The problem with identifying old MSTS stock is that it is more or less correct in some cases but wrong in others.

Thanks, Darwin, for this detailed review. Very helpful.

The next control is:

Attached Image: 2022-01-10 18_22_21-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

and the Manual entry is:

Attached Image: 2022-01-10 18_22_40-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

The text should now refer to the Train Driving Info as well as the Head Up Display.

Incidentally, I have just learned that railways in Germany also used "atü" which stands for "Atmosphären-Überdruck“, in English "Atmospheric overpressure".

1 atü = 0.980665 bar

Also, use of this unit in commercial work became illegal in Germany in 1970 !

#227 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:02 AM

Evolution of official units:
bar > kPa > kgf/cm2

#228 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 10 January 2022 - 11:10 AM

Lb in2.

#229 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:32 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 10 January 2022 - 10:53 AM, said:

Thanks, Darwin, for this detailed review. Very helpful.

Chris, here is an opportunity for the OR team to publish OR fleet standards -- publish an .inc file for each of the brake systems Darwin described. They don't have to be the perfect data values, just reasonable ones.

For example:
Comment ( "Single_Pipe_AB_Brakes.INC" )
Comment
Comment ( "Version History" )
Comment ( "1.0 Dave Nelson 2019-05-22" )
Comment ( "1.1 Dave Nelson 2019-11-16" )
Comment
BrakeEquipmentType( "Handbrake, Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir, Emergency_brake_reservoir, Retainer_4_Position" )
BrakeSystemType( "Air_single_pipe" )
BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 70 )
EmergencyBrakeResMaxPressure( 90 )
EmergencyResCapacity( 2.604 )
EmergencyResChargingRate( 20 )
EmergencyResVolumeMultiplier( 1.461 )
MaxApplicationRate( 50 )
MaxAuxilaryChargingRate( 20 )
MaxReleaseRate( 20 )
TripleValveRatio( 2.5 )

Comment ( " Obsolete parameter list" )

Comment ( "NumberOfHandbrakeLeverSteps( 100 )" )
Comment ( "EmergencyBrakeResMaxPressure( 90 )" )

Drop each .inc file into \trainset\common.inc\fleet\OR_Suggested and anyone who is inclined can use them. Maybe there is some other data that the OR software could use that would guide the software to one of these files instead of what is in the .wag. The same method could be used for different brake shoe types, coupler values, plenty of lo-interest equipment in locomotives, such as alerters. There is a lot of things that are standard once you get down to specific equipment standards.

This leads to the option of Use OR Suggested values vs. Use your own values option.

#230 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:03 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 10 January 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

This leads to the option of "Use OR Suggested values" vs. "Use your own values option".

If I understand right, you are suggesting OR provides an option to substitute sensible defaults for whichever braking system is detected in the user's content.

It would also be neat if OR detected unreasonable parameters as the game loaded so at the end (as described here), it could prompt the user to make use of this new option next time.

Your idea of accessible *.inc files seems to me much better than some other options we have that adjust parameters in code which are then, of course, only available to developers.

I wonder what others are thinking about your idea.

In the meantime, the next control is:

Attached Image: 2022-01-11 19_37_59-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

and the Manual entry reads:

Attached Image: 2022-01-11 19_38_14-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

The same correction is needed as before - anything that refers to the HUD should refer first to the Driving Info Window (F5) and then also the HUD (Alt+F5).

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users