Menu Options Can we simplify them? Rate Topic: -----

#231 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:41 PM

@Dave
Reading my log-files I've already noticed, that handling obsolete MSTS models, ORTS uses "standard diesel tabs", taking in account present power of given model's diesel from *.eng-file, which doesn't contain specified engine tab. And the same is for steamers: program uses average parameters, if such can't be seen at steamer's *.eng-file.

#232 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:32 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 11 January 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

I wonder what others are thinking about your idea.

I think that this is a good idea, however as this thread suggests not may people will modify ENG/WAG files, so how and when will the INC file be triggered to be read into OR?

I think that the lead locomotive can be used to determine the relevant INC file to use. So for example, if the brake system type on the lead locomotive is a vacuum one, then a "standard" vacuum INC file should be imported into OR, similarly for air, etc.

However when should this actually happen suggests that a switch (dare I suggest it) such as Simple/Advanced is required that will read these files, and any other one feature parameters required to "stabilise" the performance of OR.

Whatever way is decided, this needs to be part of a documented "big picture" view that currently has a number of other threads being discussed at the moment.

#233 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:21 AM

I'm going to skip over these 2 controls because they were discussed in some detail here.

Attached Image: 2022-01-12 19_12_38-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

Instead, let's consider:

Attached Image: 2022-01-12 19_12_49-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

and the Manual entry is:

Attached Image: 2022-01-12 19_13_00-MS Excel with extensions - Options v02.xlsx.jpg

Is the text OK?

I think this checkbox could be removed and the web server permanently active. On my low-spec laptop, there is no drop in frame rate when I check this checkbox so I don't think performance is an issue.

#234 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:50 AM

Open always should be fine. Only thing that comes to mind WRT text is to wonder if a sentence is needed to describe what text is or is not displayed on the second device(e.g., the command line at the bottom of the screen vs. anything from function key use). If everything is shown then perhaps inserting the word all is enough.

#235 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:17 AM

If the port number box is to be maintained, wich i guess it will maybe you can define a number to be inserted and be interpreted has 'webser not enable' instead of the checkbox. so otherwise it is always enabled.

#236 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:36 AM

I'd prefer to keep the checkbox, as my guess is that this (welcome) feature is used only by a minority of palyers.

#237 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:42 AM

As more features enabled tend to increase bugs probability, I'd prefer to have disabled as many of not used options, as possible.
Again, for bug localizing, it's useful to turn options one by one to see, which of them causes this bug.

#238 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:26 AM

View PostWeter, on 13 January 2022 - 06:42 AM, said:

As more features enabled tend to increase bugs probability, I'd prefer to have disabled as many of not used options, as possible.
Again, for bug localizing, it's useful to turn options one by one to see, which of them causes this bug.

Unless the OR team starts to capture player's metrics we'll never know what is or isn't being used. And does always on count as 1 when it is set or 1 for each time the game is launched? Or do they collect both?

Collecting metrics could be useful but only after some thought is given to what the numbers really mean.

#239 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 12 January 2022 - 11:50 AM, said:

Only thing that comes to mind WRT text is to wonder if a sentence is needed to describe what text is or is not displayed on the second device (e.g., the command line at the bottom of the screen vs. anything from function key use). If everything is shown then perhaps inserting the word all is enough.

Is there a misunderstanding here?

The page or pages displayed on the second device are not under the control of Open Rails but can be whatever the user wants. We distribute some sample pages (see the Manual) but these can easily be amended or replaced. For example they might show maps or content about the route.

#240 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:40 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 13 January 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

Unless the OR team starts to capture player's metrics we'll never know what is or isn't being used. And does always on count as 1 when it is set or 1 for each time the game is launched? Or do they collect both?

Collecting metrics could be useful but only after some thought is given to what the numbers really mean.

Collecting some player metrics is definitely something that we want to do. I guess we'll make it opt-in though to avoid invading users' privacy.

For example, it will be very useful to discover how much each option is used.

And, yes, we'll need to be discuss what the data actually means before we try and collect it.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users