• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Constant Crashes on Most Routes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MackBookPro 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS / ORTS

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:53 PM

I've been using OpenRails for a few years now and have been keeping up with Testing builds for the last few months. However, i've run into an annoying occurrence that seems to happen on random on 90% of activities i play. At certain points the game will just crash, and i'm not really well-versed in how to read error logs (the latest of which i've attached here since i know you're supposed to do that), so i can't figure out what the problem is. What i can say is that the crashes are 100% consistent; i've made save after save in some activities only for them to always fail at the same points.

Out of curiosity i've been running the Unstable builds as they come out and the problem occurs there too. I'm not sure i'm supposed to report bugs with non-stable versions, and amazingly enough the Stable v1.3.1 version of the game doesn't seem to have this issue. I'd love to just use the stable version, but (as silly as this sounds), the camera being attached to either the front or rear of a vehicle really frustrates me and makes it difficult to position the camera properly when running in Outside Veiws. Since the Unstable and Testing versions have since moved the camera to the center of the vehicles, i'd prefer to keep using those.

Please, i don't want to be told "just use the stable version then lol", i'd just like some help figuring out why the game crashes at such specific points in activities. I can create more logs if necessary. I don't know if other users have had this problem (a search of the error, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", leads to other forum posts but none have the same circumstances i've mentioned), but i'd appreciate any help in finding out what's causing the crashes, and hopefully how to stop it from happening.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

Unless there is a specific diagnostic reason to use the Data Logger --- you have Misc., Performance, Physics, StationStops, and SteamPerformance set to True -- I would turn it off.

#3 User is offline   MackBookPro 

• Apprentice

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

R H Steele, on 12 July 2021 - 01:31 PM, said:

Unless there is a specific diagnostic reason to use the Data Logger --- you have Misc., Performance, Physics, StationStops, and SteamPerformance set to True -- I would turn it off.

Turned off everything i could find related to data-logging, the issue is still occuring.

#4 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

If the issue still occurs, post a log.

We can't fix what we can't see.

What routes don't crash?

#5 User is offline   MackBookPro 

• Apprentice

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

engmod, on 12 July 2021 - 02:31 PM, said:

If the issue still occurs, post a log.

We can't fix what we can't see.

What routes don't crash?

Sorry, when you told me to turn off all log-related stuff, i turned off the general Logging option too. I've attached another log to this post, using a save that only lasts two seconds before a crash occurs.

Most of the default routes, as far as i can tell, don't crash, though my testing on these is minimal since i don't run them often. One or two other 3rd-party routes are fine too, like Charles Malcolm's Bedford-Hitchin and D. Gilbert's SouthEast, both of which are from UKTrainSim (in fact, most of my installation is UKTS routes, including four from CDs). I ran multiple activities on these routes with no issues.

I ran a consist check using Route_Riter and found that i'm missing assets for some consists. I'll do my best to get these downloaded, but i have a feeling missing assets isn't a problem since, on one activity, i witnessed a consist with a missing tender working just fine.

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

It is better not to post crashes from saves, there are many more variables to consider.

Both the crashes are pointing at rolling stock issues.

We need one of the developers to drop in to give a better understanding of the problem.

#7 User is offline   MackBookPro 

• Apprentice

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:32 PM

engmod, on 12 July 2021 - 04:15 PM, said:

It is better not to post crashes from saves, there are many more variables to consider.

Both the crashes are pointing at rolling stock issues.

We need one of the developers to drop in to give a better understanding of the problem.

Lucky for you then that i have one specific activity for Mick Clarke's Mid-East Plus CD that crashes within just the first 5 minutes. Seeing as the CD has all of the content included, i'd be curious to know if this is also a rolling stock issue.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   dcarleton 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:45 PM

The crashes are being caused by AI trains dissolving too close to the player train. The game keeps trying to draw the AI train, and reports "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." And then it crashes.

Definitely a bug.

#9 User is offline   Brace_2011 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:33 AM

Hi

The final few lines of your log.txt are strikingly similar to those in my log file reported in here.

I haven't had any replies to my posts. Hopefully someone will be able to get somewhere with this.

Martin

#10 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:35 AM

There are a series of loading errors reported in the log file, due to errors in engine files. I would suggest to sort out these errors first and then try again.
The reported files are :

• D:\MSTS\trains\trainset\MEP-Cravens105\#MEP-Cravens105.eng
  • D:\MSTS\trains\trainset\MEP-GRCW100\#MEP-GRCW100-DTCL.eng
  • D:\MSTS\trains\trainset\MEP-BRCW104\#MEP-104DTCL.eng

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users