Elvas Tower: Activity Extension - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Extension Adding static objects Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:58 AM

Wondering if this is possible... over on TrainSim, someone suggested having a static item created as a wagon, so that it could be placed in an activity as a static consist next to the tracks.

That got me thinking... Rather than creating separate shapes into a fake consist, and adding those to the Trainset and Consists folders, how about a custom file similar to a Worldfile that would be loaded as part of the activity itself?

If you have a wreck or MOW activity, this would allow stacks of ties, rails, and a Hulcher side-boom or two to be placed at the worksite only for that activity... Maybe fill up platforms with people for a passenger activity?... Railfans planted around a route for an excursion activity?

Sort of combines the "scene" aspect that Rolling Line seems to do with the worlds we've created as routes.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

These features require support by the route editor and therefore coordination between the creator of the route editor and the OR developers, so it's not a straightforward thing.

#3 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:41 PM

Yep, I figured as much.

The file format would need to be agreed on first so that there's a way to render it in the game.

Even if the editor wouldn't support it, manual file creation would always be an option.

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

that was my post on trainsim, the concept was to create a fuel truck that could be placed as a "loose consist" in an activity. however since it's a truck, it would need to be offset from the track. Example, Amtrak #3 or #4 pulls into Albuquerque. the trucks would be next to where the engines stop so it could simulate refueling.

anyway....that's my crazy idea.

Barry....AKA Amtrak115

#5 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:07 AM

IMHO, I think these are good ideas.

I'm intrigued by the "World" file substitution, idea! IF I knew how to write batch files, a simply click of the appropriate batch file before starting the activity requiring the altered World file would make it more painless. A "Batch Files" folder could even be placed inside the route's main folder for such. IF the batch file is named for the activity for which it coincides, so much the better.

Hmmmm.

#6 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

Nah, no batch files... that would work, but if you run them in the wrong order, you'll screw things up bigtime. That's why I'm suggesting a supplemental file that gets loaded after the rest of the route loads.

#7 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:32 AM

What about a piece of rolling stock with some special flag, like having all the size parameters set at -10 or something? OR sees the special flag and disallows that object from interacting with trains or dropping track circuits

#8 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:56 AM

For the fuel truck, a section of invisitrack would probably work.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users