Elvas Tower: Derailment Coefficient - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Derailment Coefficient Making use of the coupler angle Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:17 AM

The rails are inclined towards the center of track with usually 1/20 angle as well, for centering wheelpair on track. The wheel's surfaces are not cylindrical, but the cones with the same 2x 1:20 angle

#22 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:51 AM

That conicity wheel is a differential work.

#23 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 August 2021 - 04:25 AM

Indeed, but it helps to compensate different right/left(inner/outer)wheel rotation speed in curves. Thanking that fact, that wheels contact with rails by points of different diameter circles, but being linked by an axle at the same time, so no one of them slips/skids. The centrifugal force shifts wheel-pair out (up), so making that possible.

Travzitive curve scheme:
Attached Image: TranzCurv.jpg
Rails inclination:
Attached Image: Incl.jpg
The pofile of European, Soviet and North-American rails:
Attached Image: Rails-II.jpg

#24 User is offline   DirtyRam 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:40 AM

steamer_ctn, on 13 August 2021 - 10:55 PM, said:

The definition of the derailment coefficient parameters seems fine.

A couple of general comments.

Unless this is a locomotive with a higher then default adhesion, I wouldn't bother putting an Adhesion parameter in (though nothing to stop you putting the default curve values in as you appear to have done).

I would suggest using a decimal value of inches in this one, ie 2.56in.

I don't think that value you have used will be read correctly by OR.

The log file sometimes presents error message that will be helpful to ensure that there are no problems with any parameters.

What did you have in mind with this?

The Diesel Shop lists the - Distance between Truck Centers 43'-00" and
Minimum Turning Radius 30 degrees

So for the power they are available, for rolling stock I'm not sure how easy they are to find.

EMD FP7A

Comment ( Derailment Coefficient )
ORTSLengthBogieCentre ( 43ft )
ORTSLengthCarBody ( 51ft )
ORTSLengthCouplerFace ( 54ft )
ORTSNumberAxles ( 4 )
ORTSNumberBogies ( 2 )
MinimumTurningRadius ( 30 ) degrees

#25 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:23 AM

Weter, on 22 August 2021 - 04:25 AM, said:

Travzitive curve scheme, Rails inclination, The pofile of European, Soviet and North-American rails,

Yes, these illustrations are in my track textbook. I usually use the figures there for modeling. Of course, it only includes MÁV rail profiles and crossbars.
Maybe one day I will make transition sheets, of course this involves modifying the TSection.dat file in the Global folder.

#26 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:32 AM

Tried this feature on the latest test version an sofar I like the F5 Force info showing Derail Coefficient percentage chances at curves despite a huge drop in FPS while not using Mono. Yellow showing as if it were critical chances an Red showing as if it happend but your still rolling re railed lol.

Seeing NaN on trailing locomotives doesn't bother me when at curves nor my articulated centers showing a red infinite like sign. But basicly what I been looking forward to an asked for shows it's own ORTS calculations on tonnage buff force limits at curves.

If you don't understand what I mean I mean I'm impressed that my poor train makeup up tests had the chances a car is to stringline/jacknife at a curve but not yet on tangent streights. My poor makeup was 6 online AC diesels all dynamics cut-in on the headend with 10 short empty wells on the headend an heavy loaded tonnage behind it. Descending down a twisty route an heavily applying dynos or independents intentionally at curves at low speeds shows the effected cars in yellow or red beyond 100%. The same results happen when shoving hard or making a hook with continuous power at curves. Coupling speeds an Force is another thing for later but it's funny making rolling hooks has no effect regardless of speed an force if throttle is idle.

Still more testing awaits but is there going to be optional warning messages for when in critical yellow derail coefficients an red for the 100% derailed? Pushing-Bunching or Pulling-Stretching too hard for warning yellow just like wheel slip warnings happen is a good way not to keep looking at the Force F5 HUD all the time losing FPS.

#27 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:12 AM

But may be a problem switching in yards if physics are poor set or are defaulted where ORTS makes its own calculations. Or I may be miss seeing something in last post.

#28 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

ATW, on 23 August 2021 - 03:32 AM, said:

Still more testing awaits but is there going to be optional warning messages for when in critical yellow derail coefficients an red for the 100% derailed? Pushing-Bunching or Pulling-Stretching too hard for warning yellow just like wheel slip warnings happen is a good way not to keep looking at the Force F5 HUD all the time losing FPS.

If that would be beneficial, perhaps it can be added to the new train driving window by Mauricio. If not I will look at adding it to the Main HuD.

#29 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:21 PM

steamer_ctn, on 23 August 2021 - 07:21 PM, said:

If that would be beneficial, perhaps it can be added to the new train driving window by Mauricio. If not I will look at adding it to the Main HuD.

It would be beneficial without having to look at all the Force HuD. In fact can it be like the Curve Speed warnings so it can tell us which car number etc?

Know this is still on going but one curious question for special parameters but how does one increase the sturdiness besides making the car more heavy for ORTS to do its own calculations? Seams the weakest link pops red even when entirely empty through yards.

#30 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 August 2021 - 10:49 PM

ATW, on 23 August 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

It would be beneficial without having to look at all the Force HuD. In fact can it be like the Curve Speed warnings so it can tell us which car number etc?
I was thinking of having just one message if any car exceeds the limit. To have it for all individual cars could produce too many messages that would make it hard to see which car is impacted.

ATW, on 23 August 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

Know this is still on going but one curious question for special parameters but how does one increase the sturdiness besides making the car more heavy for ORTS to do its own calculations? Seams the weakest link pops red even when entirely empty through yards.

The derailment coefficient = lateral Force / Vertical force. So naturally lighter vehicles are more at risk of derailing due to their wheel climbing the track.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users