Elvas Tower: Derailment Coefficient - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Derailment Coefficient Making use of the coupler angle Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

As part of the work with advanced coupler it was necessary to calculate the coupler angle. This coupler angle can also be used in the calculation of the Derailment Coefficient. This feature has now been added to the latest Unstable version.

The derailment Coefficient is defined as the ratio between the Lateral (L) Force on a car or wagon, and the Vertical (V) force on the car, ie Coeff = L / V.

The coefficient gives an indication of the likelihood of a car coming off the tracks in certain circumstances, and most railway companies select a coefficient value that they use to set the conditions that a train may travel around a curve or through a turnout.

There are many factors which will influence the calculation of the derailment coefficient, and OR attempts to capture some of the more relevant aspects without over complicating the information required.

OR will attempt the calculations using default values calculated from the existing Size statement in the WAG file.

However for the most accurate outcome the following parameters can be included in the WAG file.
ORTSLengthBogieCentre - length between bogie centres
ORTSLengthCarBody - Length between car ends
ORTSLengthCouplerFace - length between coupler faces.

ORTSNumAxles - number of axles on the car.
ORTSNumBogies - number of bogies on the car.

If you have any feedback then let me know.

#2 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:02 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 30 June 2021 - 10:26 PM, said:

As part of the work with advanced coupler it was necessary to calculate the coupler angle. This coupler angle can also be used in the calculation of the Derailment Coefficient. This feature has now been added to the latest Unstable version.

The derailment Coefficient is defined as the ratio between the Lateral (L) Force on a car or wagon, and the Vertical (V) force on the car, ie Coeff = L / V.

The coefficient gives an indication of the likelihood of a car coming off the tracks in certain circumstances, and most railway companies select a coefficient value that they use to set the conditions that a train may travel around a curve or through a turnout.

There are many factors which will influence the calculation of the derailment coefficient, and OR attempts to capture some of the more relevant aspects without over complicating the information required.

OR will attempt the calculations using default values calculated from the existing Size statement in the WAG file.

However for the most accurate outcome the following parameters can be included in the WAG file.

ORTSNumAxles - number of axles on the car.
ORTSNumBogies - number of bogies on the car.

If you have any feedback then let me know.

ORTSNumberAxles already exists. Will there be ORTSNumAxles then?

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:21 PM

View PostLaci1959, on 30 June 2021 - 11:02 PM, said:

ORTSNumberAxles already exists. Will there be ORTSNumAxles then?
I have done a search of the code, and can't find ORTSNumberAxles. Where is it referenced? Though I agree that it would probably be better to call it that rather then ORTSNumAxles. I might change it.

EDIT: It appears that is some conflicting code with another release, so I have removed the code pending sorting it out.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:58 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 30 June 2021 - 11:21 PM, said:

I have done a search of the code, and can't find ORTSNumberAxles. Where is it referenced? Though I agree that it would probably be better to call it that rather then ORTSNumAxles. I might change it.

EDIT: It appears that is some conflicting code with another release, so I have removed the code pending sorting it out.

Peter, I could have sworn that you implemented "ORTSNumberAxles", along with "ORTSNumberDriveAxles", and "ORTSDriveWheelWeight" -- I'm currently using them, and no log warnings are appearing...won't OR warn in the log if an unrecognizable parameter is used? I'll search through the threads and see if I can find the discussion.
Please see >>> ORTSNumberAxles >>> for discussion & your post #12

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:57 PM

Ok, issues with code conflicts have now been sorted, so changes have now been uploaded to latest unstable version.

To confirm variable if required are:

ORTSNumberAxles - number of axles on the car.
ORTSNumberBogies - number of bogies on the car.

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for your time and efforts. Are the parameters ORTSNumberDriveAxles and ORTSDriveWheelWeight in the unstable version, as I assumed?

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:58 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 04 July 2021 - 01:52 PM, said:

Thanks for your time and efforts. Are the parameters ORTSNumberDriveAxles and ORTSDriveWheelWeight in the unstable version, as I assumed?

Yes

#8 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:42 PM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 01 July 2021 - 09:57 PM, said:

Ok, issues with code conflicts have now been sorted, so changes have now been uploaded to latest unstable version.

To confirm variable if required are:

ORTSNumberAxles - number of axles on the car.
ORTSNumberBogies - number of bogies on the car.

I need some clarification--if utilizing this code for a steam engine (assuming it's a conventional rigid-frame rod engine), would ORTSNumberAxles refer to all axles (driving and idler) or just the idler axles? So if setting this up for say, a 4-8-4 wheel arrangement, would I write the code in the .eng file like this...:
ORTSNumberAxles( 4 )
ORTSNumberBogies( 2 )

...or like this?:
ORTSNumberAxles( 8 )
ORTSNumberBogies( 2 )

What about a shunter/switcher with no idler wheels/bogies, such as an 0-6-0? Like this?:
ORTSNumberAxles( 3 )
ORTSNumberBogies( 0 )

Also, in regards to locomotives whose trucks/bogies have pivot points that are not exactly at the center of the truck/bogie (which is common with 2-wheel lead and trailing trucks as well as 4-wheel trailing trucks), would I use the offset pivot of the truck/bogie as the basis for the ORTSLengthBogieCentre parameter?

I'm confused...

#9 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:47 PM

Sadly this code is still not present in the Unstable version due to code conflicts with another developers code (still working on it).

As far as your questions are concerned I would suggest leaving it at the default values for the time being for steam locomotives, and the switcher that you described.

These can be reviewed in more detail once the code makes its appearance in the Unstable version.

#10 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:02 AM

Another question might be what to do about radial axles - they have more side play than rigid wheels, but are not as flexible as a bogie.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users