• You cannot reply to this topic

Turntable and cylinder cocks Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 May 2021 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

A minor issue with the TT that has often seemed like a bug to me, but it isn't I would say.
For a long time I thought that after the end of a turn of a steam locomotive on a turntable always the cylinder cocks are opened by the OR code (a kind of reset a loco control). Only sometimes they where opened, sometimes closed. Until I understood that I released the Alt or Ctrl key a fraction of a second earlier than the C key.
You can test this very clearly by only ever releasing the Alt or Ctrl key during a turn of the turntable, but keeping the C key pressed all the time. Every time you release the Alt or Ctrl key, the cylinder cocks toggle.
Actually, I would expect to have to release the C key first and then press it again before the cocks toggle.

A smaller problem, but is there any way to catch it? Maybe by supressing a key release event or something similar?

Greetings
Jonas

#2 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

Hi,

Two smaller things; have more or less to do with turntables:

No bug in my eyes, but on steam locomotives the % display of the reverser differs depending on whether you use the mouse in cabview or the "W"/"S" keys. With the mouse, a minus number is displayed when the reverser is set backwards, whereas with the "W"/"S" keys, an unsigned number with the addition "reverse" is displayed. With forward setting with the keys "forward" is added, with the mouse only a (positive) number without "forward".

I find it difficult to set the reverser exactly to 0% using the "W"/"S" key. Is it conceivable to have a key combination that presets the locomotive controls for rotation on turntables, a sort of an extended form of Ctrl + A so to say?
It would be desirable from my point of view if, at least for steam locomotives, the reverser and the regulator on a turntable could be zeroed by key combination.
Greetings
Jonas

EDIT: Sorry, by mistake I had here originally always written "A"/"D" keys instead of the for the reverser correct "W"/"S" keys

#3 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

Never had a problem with steam locomotives.
You can of course also make the Regulator and/or the Reverse work a little slower in the .ENG, as it really is........ :rolleyes:
try as an example:

Regulator ( 0 1 0.05 0
Cutoff ( -0.5 0.75 0.02 0.65

#4 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:01 PM

View PostQJ-6811, on 19 June 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

try as an example:

Regulator ( 0 1 0.05 0
Cutoff ( -0.5 0.75 0.02 0.65

Thanks for the tip.
However, there are different steam locomotives and I do not want to change the behavior of a particular one by changing the respective eng file. Rather, I am more interested in operating the steam locomotives in general at the turntables. I would prefer a key combination to pre-set the controlers (at least reverser and regulator) of a steam locomotive on a turntable to be ready to the turn state.
But this is a minor problem, while I find the second issue that there are two different kinds to display the number values depending on whether I use the mouse or the "W"/"S" keys to actually be worthy of change.

#5 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:26 AM

View Postjonas, on 19 June 2021 - 04:01 PM, said:

However, there are different steam locomotives and I do not want to change the behavior of a particular one by changing the respective eng file. Rather, I am more interested in operating the steam locomotives in general at the turntables. I would prefer a key combination to pre-set the controlers (at least reverser and regulator) of a steam locomotive on a turntable to be ready to the turn state.

Whilst I have never tried it, I believe that it is possible to change the keys used for certain functions. It is done through the Options Menu/Keyboard. The manual might provide some guidance. This is one option to overcome your problem by using a key other then the C key for one of the functions.

The other suggestion I would make is to always let go of the letter key (C in this instance) first before the "Shft" key, rather then trying to let go of both at once (as this runs the risk that the letter key may still be pressed momentarily).

#6 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:33 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 20 June 2021 - 02:26 AM, said:

Whilst I have never tried it, I believe that it is possible to change the keys used for certain functions. It is done through the Options Menu/Keyboard. The manual might provide some guidance. This is one option to overcome your problem by using a key other then the C key for one of the functions.

The other suggestion I would make is to always let go of the letter key (C in this instance) first before the "Shft" key, rather then trying to let go of both at once (as this runs the risk that the letter key may still be pressed momentarily).

I find the C key very good for the turntables. I wouldn't want to change it at all (by the way, it's not that easy to find alternative keys - so many are already used :-).
What I actually meant is that if I (unintentionally) release the Ctrl or Alt key first and just then the C key, then the cylinder cocks are toggled.
And just because the keyboard is so overused that almost all letters have an effect in OR individually and in combination with Shift, Ctrl or Alt, I would find it desirable here that after pressing e.g. <Ctrl + C> you must first explicitly release both keys before the C key is then recognized as pressed.

But again, it's not a bug, just would be a more user-friendly handling in my eyes. I suspect, though, that it affects the basic keyboard behavior of OR and not just the turntable-cylindercock-thing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users