• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turntable Paradox Loco Reversed. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

I have a Turntable serving a 3-Stall Enginehouse.
This is the normal starting condition; aligned to the TT Lead and Stall #2.
Attached Image: Bridgton Turntable.jpg

#1. When I rotate the TT CounterClockwise (Ctrl+C) to Stall #1, I get the message: "Information: Turntable Backward Connected"
I move the Loco from Stall #1 to the TT, rotate it Clockwise (Alt+C) to the TT Lead, and the Loco is Reversed; that is,
Switches in front are operated with "Shift-G", Switches behind are operated with "G", and Front/Rear Angle Cocks,
Air Hose, etc are reversed.

#2. When I rotate the TT Clockwise (Alt+C) to Stall #3, I get the message: "Information: Turntable Forward Connected"
I move the Loco from Stall #3 to the TT, rotate it CounterClockwise (Ctrl+C) to the TT Lead and the Loco is Normal; that is,
Switches in front are operated with "G", switches behind are operated with "Shift+G", and Front/Rear Angle Cocks,
Air Hose, etc are Normal.

It doesn't matter which Loco is used. Any Loco leaving Stall #1 gets Reversed, and any Loco leaving Stall #3 stays normal.

When Rotating the Turntable 360-degrees Clockwise OR CounterClockwise:
Stopping at Stall #1 or TT Lead always generates message: "Information: Turntable Backward Connected"
Stopping at Stall #2 or Stall #3 always generates message: "Information: Turntable Forward Connected"

To make it more interesting, earlier Revisions of the Route did not have this problem!

Any ideas from you ORTS Experts????

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:24 AM

Which release of OR are you using? Are you in Explore mode?

#3 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:00 AM

OR v1.3.4310.

Happens in Explore mode with any Loco, and for (1) Activity that starts in Stall #1.

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:59 AM

I've tried with a turntable I have in a route, and I don't see that behavior; could you try with a more recent OR version, e.g. with the actual Testing version?

#5 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:20 PM

I've tested it with the current unstable version U2021.05.14-2236. The swapping of the G key function, so that after a TT rotation for the forward direction the Shift+G key has to be pressed instead of just G, is a problem of the 1.3 version I would think.

In the two pictures you can see a 180° rotated locomotive each. In the track behind the tender is the (only) switch.
You can see the OR version difference when note the differences of the F8 switch windows:
Attached Image: Version_1_3_1_4328.jpg OR Version 1.3.1.4328 (G and Shift+G keys work wrong vice versa)

Attached Image: CurrentVersion.jpg Current OR Version U2021.05.14-2236 (The G key works as expected)

That's what comes to my mind about the G-key swap problem in post #1.

#6 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:23 PM

... and also to post #1: Is it still necessary to distinguish between "Turntable Backward Connected" and "Turntable Forward Connected" and wouldn't it be enough to just show "Turntable Connected", Carlo?

One (at least me :-) don't know exactly where the front and the back of the turntable is anyway, isn't it?

Or asked again figuratively:
Attached Image: DrehSch01.jpgIf this is the initial position of a turntable ...

Attached Image: DrehSch02.jpg... then here "Backward Connected" ...

Attached Image: DrehSch03.jpg... and here "Foreward Connected" is displayed.
But in both cases, the turntable is connected on both sides of the track. I suspect that this detailed information, whether the front or the back is connected, is from the time of creating the TT programming and for all I care it can still be displayed.

But wouldn't it be enough for the player to know that the TT is generally connected, whether front or rear? Only a question.

Edit: Alternatively, the info: "Foreward and Backward Connected" could be displayed when both track sides are connected.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:03 PM

Jonas,
thanks for your tests. Indeed there was a time when the turntables behaved like Tom describes. That was corrected, then it was inadvertedly reintroduced, then it was corrected again, and you confirm me that it works correctly now.
Yes, the wording "backward" and "forward", which have more an internal meaning, could be removed. But I don't think they disturb too much...

#8 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:54 AM

I doesn't bother me that the Turntable displays "Forward" or "Backward";
those messages can remain.

Since this has been fixed before, can you give me instructions on how to fix it,
so that it connects forward to Stall #1?

#9 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 17 May 2021 - 03:19 AM

Csantucci, on 16 May 2021 - 11:03 PM, said:

Yes, the wording "backward" and "forward", which have more an internal meaning, could be removed. But I don't think they disturb too much...
It does not disturb.
But, at the risk I disturbing now :-), in this particular case I could change the German translation in both cases to simply "Turntable connected" (Drehscheibe verriegelt). Is there anything against it if the English and the German version are different in this case?

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:01 AM

jonas, on 17 May 2021 - 03:19 AM, said:

It does not disturb.
But, at the risk I disturbing now :-), in this particular case I could change the German translation in both cases to simply "Turntable connected" (Drehscheibe verriegelt). Is there anything against it if the English and the German version are different in this case?

I don't think it's so bad.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users