• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

question about "new consist" format Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

I just got finish reading a thread on "Virtual Files" (that wasn't the name of the thread, but James Ross proposed the concept in it" and the thread on a new consist format that YoRyan proposed...(After reading that thread, 24 pages...., I don't know whether to call it a consist, a train, a collection of units...or things that bump in the night...lol.....anyway. it got me thinking. I don't know about foreign passenger trains, but in the US, sometimes depending upon the stop, a train has to make two stops, mainly because the train is longer than the platform. currently I believe a passenger train stops at a station with the center of the train located on the station platform. Was wondering if the passenger train is set up as two blocks (I think that correct), then when indicated say in an activity, the train would make stops based on the blocks, vs the overall train, that way two station stops would be possible.

I have to go Ice my head now....Train, consists, json, simis, MSTS, ORTS, Folder layouts, Virtual files, zip files.....................

Amtrak115

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

Amtrak115, on 17 April 2021 - 08:49 AM, said:

I just got finish reading a thread on "Virtual Files" (that wasn't the name of the thread, but James Ross proposed the concept in it" and the thread on a new consist format that YoRyan proposed...(After reading that thread, 24 pages...., I don't know whether to call it a consist, a train, a collection of units...or things that bump in the night...lol.....anyway. it got me thinking. I don't know about foreign passenger trains, but in the US, sometimes depending upon the stop, a train has to make two stops, mainly because the train is longer than the platform. currently I believe a passenger train stops at a station with the center of the train located on the station platform. Was wondering if the passenger train is set up as two blocks (I think that correct), then when indicated say in an activity, the train would make stops based on the blocks, vs the overall train, that way two station stops would be possible.

It's a complex subject, isn't it? I guess the better a simulator is, the more it has to deal with the complexities of real life.

Regarding multiple stops, a platform has two ends, so OR knows how long it is and how long the train is too. It wouldn't be a difficult calculation to wait a while and then move forward a platform length. Opening and closing just the appropriate car doors might be interesting.

Perhaps that's something you might want to experiment with in code?

#3 User is offline   engineersteve 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:35 AM

On YOU TUBE you can check out VIRTUAL RAILFAN. Then search for Laplatta Missouri. Amtrak trains have a short platform and sometimes make 2 stops.

#4 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:52 AM

Until we have both a proper Open Rails consist format and a proper activity format (I'm still using those terms, personally), I think it's too early to speculate on what would and would not be possible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users