Elvas Tower: Options/Simulation Tab - Location-linked passing path processing. - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Options/Simulation Tab - Location-linked passing path processing. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Can someone describe/explain to me what the setting on the Options Screen, simulation tab, Location-linked passing path processing. What's the intended function? In an activity I developed, some users systems are crashing with this option checked, if option not checked activity runs as expected. I'm trying to find in code but as of now I haven't been able to put my finger on this option...

anyone???

Barry

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

Did you look in the OR Manual for explanation?

vince

#3 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:06 PM

Vince, In the manual it says "Selecting this type of passing path with the related experimental option processing can lead to considerable changes in the behaviour of trains on single track routes – and behaviour that is certainly significantly different from that in MSTS." but there is no explanation of the "changes in the behavior of trains on single track routes"... When this is checked on my activity, a warning saying "Warning: Multiple passing paths at the same location, without common branch out, or return switch. Check the passing paths for Train name: W-HUNW (number: 166), and other train's paths, which have passing paths at the same locations" that particular AI train path has only 2 "passing paths" and are define normally. the player train path also uses one of those passing paths. I thought the simulator would determine who got there first to make the appropriate switches align for a pass. unchecked the pass occurs normally checked. as soon as the activity loads...that warning is "logged" then the OR crashes.

Barry

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:39 PM

Barry, from this thread here at ET >>> Passing paths
This is the thread by Rob when he introduced the concept - it may prove helpful >> Location linked passing paths
Try searching the forum with this term ( use quotes ) "location-linked passing path" or something similiar, there are quite a few hits.

The answer to this depends on the selection of the experimental option "Use location-linked passing path processing".

• If this option is set:
    It does not matter what has been defined as main path or passing path for either player or AI train. This system creates a 'set' of available routes between the start and end nodes. If one train has a choice of routes through the area and the other has not, the system will select a route for the train which has a choice such that there is no conflict. If both trains have a choice of routes, the selection depends on the way the routes were defined (i.e. which was set as 'main' and which as 'passing' for each of the trains), but the system will always select a different route for each of the trains (if this is not possible, e.g. because of a third train or too short sections, the area is not marked as a possible passing location even if passing paths have been defined).
  • If option is not set :
    The 'main' routes for both player and AI must be the same route through the area (in reverse, obviously).
    In this situation, the system only checks for an 'alternative' route for the first train to arrive at the location. If this first train is to pass the second train at this location, it is assigned to the alternative route. The other train is always assigned to the main route. If the main route for one train is the alternative route for the other, the first train is assigned this alternative route which puts is right in the path of the other train.
Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:13 PM

As ever, it would help us all if you post a logfile with your question, that saves us from having to guess what your problem is.
Your question is not how the different pathing methods work, but what the error report means. If you want proper help, then please provide us the available information which is almost always the logfile.

As for the report - that indicates that somewhere in the route, paths are set up like shown below. It may be passing paths which are defined thus, or it may be the actual trains paths combined with passing paths. In this situation, the system cannot work out how these paths should be used as stopping a train in one loop area could cause a conflict with the way trains are routed through the other area.

Attached Image: Image1.jpg

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:23 PM

There are no paths like that in the activity I developed. attached is a log file from one of the users reporting the problem, I can duplicate this easily on my system now.

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

Rob,

Based on a description of the intent of this experimental code for implementing paths betweens point a and b, I assume it was to ease the process of activity creation by all but eliminating the need to define paths. Simply define starting point and ending point of train, be it AI or Player, the sim, would then figure the "best" route between two points..." Is that correct?

Barry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users