• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opposite Switch-throwing with G key Is it realy needed? Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:49 AM

OR NewYear MG rel. 95 has a tentative feature allowing to selectively throwing the first facing switch or the first trailing switch.
In following picture
Attached Image: FacingAndTrailing.jpg
the extended F8 pop-up window can be seen. At the left side the first switch in front and the first switch behind of the train are displayed (as was up to now), and at the right side the first switch in front and the first switch behind with opposite orientation are shown. So in the upper part the trailing switch just in front of the locomotive is shown on the left side, while the subsequent facing swith is shown on the right side. In this case also backwards the first switch is a trailing one.
All four switches can be thrown by clicking on them (if the reservation/occupation conditions are satisfied), or by using one of following commands:
G: throw first facing switch in front
Shift-G: throw first facing switch behind
Ctrl-G: throw first trailing switch in front
Ctrl-Shift-G: throw first trailing switch behind.

The feature works in explore mode and in manual mode.

There is still a small display issue that I'll try to solve, but it's priority 2.

#52 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:23 AM

@Vince
Manual don't give any point on "picked"
When the train is moving, it's much harder to "catch" the switch with cursor, then click Alt+MouseLeft.
@atsf37l
You're right, but:
-the exit signals are just behind the cab-I've passed them to show this switches more closely/clearly;
-I've mentioned earlier (see post #33), that, like Jonas, I talk here only about Explore mode, so desired maneurer is not wrote in plot of an activity.
but there is no traffic and rules, needed to obey.

#53 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:16 PM

I've download and try OR NewYear MG rel. 95 - thanks for the quick implementation Carlo, I like it!
I'm not sure, but maybe the F8 window would be a bit more intuitive that way?
Attached Image: F8_new.jpg

#54 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:48 PM

I had considered that solution, that might be a bit more intuitive, but discarded it because I think that the implemented solution is less intrusive on the screen.

#55 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:04 AM

Thanks, Carlo!

I'm getting ready to do a debug week on a bunch of 3 and 4 track universal crossovers, and this should come in very handy.

#56 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:43 AM

Thank for response and solution, Carlo.

#57 User is offline   fireflyer 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Train Simulator 2021

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

Csantucci, on 27 March 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

the extended F8 pop-up window can be seen. At the left side the first switch in front and the first switch behind of the train are displayed (as was up to now), and at the right side the first switch in front and the first switch behind with opposite orientation are shown. So in the upper part the trailing switch just in front of the locomotive is shown on the left side, while the subsequent facing swith is shown on the right side. In this case also backwards the first switch is a trailing one.
All four switches can be thrown by clicking on them (if the reservation/occupation conditions are satisfied), or by using one of following commands:
G: throw first facing switch in front
Shift-G: throw first facing switch behind
Ctrl-G: throw first trailing switch in front
Ctrl-Shift-G: throw first trailing switch behind.

I gave the new ORNYMG revision a try over the weekend, and my personal experience was that I seemed to become easily confused by the changing switches in the window.

As an example, in your post above, Ctrl-G will change the trailing switch shown in the upper left of the switch window, and G will change the facing switch in the upper right. But as soon as the train passes the first switch in front, G now changes the switch in the upper left because it is facing and Ctrl-G changes the upper right (the next trailing switch, which could be several switches down the line). Basically, the shortcuts do not map to the location on the window, but the orientation of the switches. This became confusing to me, especially when traveling over several consecutive switches all facing or all trailing. Then the top right switch could be way down the line somewhere and I don't know what it does to my path.

Again, this is my own personal experience and thoughts on using the facing/trailing switch shortcuts and window. Two suggestions that would work in my case follow, though I understand implementation might be difficult:

• Allow the user to choose between the default window and shortcuts, or the trailing/facing window and shortcuts
  • Make the window show the next two switches, regardless of orientation, with consistent shortcuts to change the switches immediately before/after the train (left side), and the next switches after those (right side)

Just my 2 cents...

#58 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:07 PM

This occures in ORNYMG rel. 95:

Attached Image: NextTrailingSwitch02_before.gif(Click the picture to see it as animated gif)
1. The train is still before the signal -> both the facing switch and the following trailing switch are set by G key.

Attached Image: NextTrailingSwitch02_after.gif(Click the picture to see it as animated gif)
2. The train has passed the signal -> G key only sets the next facing switch. The trailing switch remains unmoved.

Attached Image: NextTrailingSwitch02_then.jpg
3. The train has passed the first facing switch -> it's not possible to reach the next facing switch (red arrow) by simply clicking on G key, because the trailing switch in between is closed.

Note the difference between picture 1 and 2.
In picture 1 we are in a signaled area, but a few meters further in picture 2 we are (suddenly) in a non-signaled area.

Does that mean for OR in general: If a train successfully passes a signal (and the signal had turned to red) then the switches ahead are considered as being in a non-signaled area?

#59 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:54 PM

Jonas,
I don't know exactly how the logic allowing or not allowing manual throwing of a switch works. That logic is outside the modification I have inserted, and I don't have modified it. Someone else might be able to answer your question.

fireflyer,
there are other implementation possibilities, of course. To be less confused you might consider that the left hand side of the new window (eye plus the first vertical couple of switches) is identical to the old window.
Anyhow I'm collecting here objections and preferences, and at the end will decide whether to stick to the actual implementation or to modify it.

#60 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:07 AM

Carlo, in response to your comment about collecting opinions on the new switching driver aid window - Love your DemoAutoSounds but would prefer the original switching aid window, probably because I'm old and easily confused lol.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users