• You cannot reply to this topic

Opposite Switch-throwing with G key Is it realy needed? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:42 PM

I wonder, is there any sence to throw the switches, which are opposite to player loco's direction?
It's looks not handy for me... Especially, when there is only little gap between switches.
I know about the possibility to do it with a mouce, but...
MSTS ignored them. I Appologise for poor English, if I called that not precise.
In russian tradition, such oriented switches are called as "along fur", the other ones - "counter fur"

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:15 PM

Yes. The 'G' key to throw the switch ahead and SHIFT + G to throw the switch behind engine,
Additionally, you can point to the switch with the cursor and while holding ALT click on the track switch itself.

This is all detailed in the OR Manual and in the Sim by pressing F1 Help key.
The keyboard assignments (bindings) can be printed from the OR > Keyboard screen.

regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:53 PM

I think the question is more about why it's possible to throw trailing-point switches in front of you, which does strike me as a bit odd

#4 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:07 PM

Well, if you don't, you'll teleport! I learned that the hard way!

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 21 March 2021 - 06:45 AM

I agree with Weter, there's no reason to force open a trailing point switch. In fact, some roads used a spring loaded switch that allowed opposing traffic thru without altering the locked route. They were pretty much standard on traction and interurbans where there is a passing track.

What's needed is a way to throw 2 switches ahead, or perhaps an option to ignore opposing points, eg a static flag or maybe a new flag for ORTS.

The type of situation Weter described is heading into a multi track crossover, but needing to cross over a trailing point switch first. There's simmply no easy way to do this from the cab.

#6 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:21 AM

eolesen, on 21 March 2021 - 06:45 AM, said:

I agree with Weter, there's no reason to force open a trailing point switch. In fact, some roads used a spring loaded switch that allowed opposing traffic thru without altering the locked route. They were pretty much standard on traction and interurbans where there is a passing track.

What's needed is a way to throw 2 switches ahead, or perhaps an option to ignore opposing points, eg a static flag or maybe a new flag for ORTS.

The type of situation Weter described is heading into a multi track crossover, but needing to cross over a trailing point switch first. There's simply no easy way to do this from the cab.

Spring switches were also quite common on freight roads, as well, though they're considerably less common in the modern day. Many sidings in ABS territory, especially, used them to allow trains to leave sidings faster. They have been getting replaced by power switches (CTC conversion or 'automatic switch'), or hand-throw rigid switches in some cases.

I will say that about the only time I could think of that you'd need to open a trailing-point switch is if you were in a siding with hand-throw rigid switches without a signal system (which will force a switch to your route anyway).

I think functioning spring switches would be an interesting addition to OR, along with the occasional failure to align, especially in winter months when snow and ice can foul the points

#7 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:54 AM

ebnertra000, on 20 March 2021 - 07:53 PM, said:

I think the question is more about why it's possible to throw trailing-point switches in front of you, which does strike me as a bit odd
Not odd at all Travis; In the real world if you run through a closed (trailing point) switch you'll destroy it ($$$$) and your employment would be terminated.

regards,
vince

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:08 AM

IMO Kuju made a mistake by designating automatic vs. manual in the tsection file (IOW as different shapes) when they probably could have accomplished the same by puting the facts into the .sd file which would have stored it in the world file. It wouldn't matter what the default value was as their RE allowed you to change what was in the .sd file via a right mouse click.

Had that been done then adding a new value for spring switch would not have required all new shapes but instead a code change in OR.

#9 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

Travis, Wye triangles and baloon-tracks (At MSTS' default Marias Pass - THS WORKED!) uses spring switches as well, for not to live a cab during turnaround maneurers.
Vince, You are right. Thank for point, I've forgot about that.
Certainly, this (cutting-up the switch) is about fixed, not sprung switch, but they are most common anyway.

#10 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

Weter, on 20 March 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

I wonder, is there any sence to throw the switches, which are opposite to player loco's direction?
...In russian tradition, such oriented switches are called as "along fur", the other ones - "counter fur"
I suggested this in January 2017 and it is listed here at Trello on the "Future" card. Pictures of the problem are also included there.
Also important is there the note by James: We'll probably need to ensure that when we arrive at trailing switches we forcible change them, or fix the "jumping train" problem itself.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users