• You cannot reply to this topic

Build A Better Skydome - Terragen 2 ? Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

You can use variants of the SkyDome1.png [found in the Content folder in any OR program folder].

Scott gave me a nudge to learn how to make bat files so I could preload different SkyDome1.png files into any of the OR installs before running an activity or using the explore function. Made icons of the skydomes for shortcuts to the bat files. ( I had never taken the time to learn how to make bat files .... downloaded some pdfs with examples ... copy is quite easy...it was a fun afternoon project )

The skydomes I'm using were available for a very short time before the creator removed them from the library, I can't find the thread explaining why...I do remember they were taken from a commercial web site...so that may have presented copyright issues. As scott will attest to, making a good skydome without any artifacts, distortions, or noise is not easy. I'm still looking at the software mentioned in this thread...but I think it's somewhat beyond my capabilities.

The first Blue10000 (blue sky with clouds 10000x10000) is the one scott made and is available in this thread.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: skydome_bat-icons.jpg

#52 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

Yes, thought about *.bat-files this morning too.
At TSR content, them were used to change skins of models, or *.eng-files, suitable for MSTS, or BinPatch.
Great idea-to make thumbnails-preview of domes as an icons for bat-files, thank for sharing.

MSTSSky.cs and Sky.cs are the two blocks of code used to make the skydome, including a dome for clouds, the sun, and the moon. Perhaps the first one is no longer used

Option "MSTS environment" turns it on, Maybe?

Seeing screenshots by Steve with different amount of clouds here, I thought, that was using of your different variants of skydome textures. So I was mistaken.

Scott, have you seen my own topic about atmosphere implementation?
http://www.elvastowe...__fromsearch__1
Interesting, what would you tell about that problem?
I think, this two topics are related with the same questions.
And the magnificent skies by our colleague from Chilie.

#53 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

R H Steele, on 01 April 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

The skydomes I'm using were available for a very short time before the creator removed them from the library, I can't find the thread explaining why...I do remember they were taken from a commercial web site...so that may have presented copyright issues.

Sounds like the skydomes Claus (a member from Denmark) made using images from textures.com. If that's the case the restriction put upon them was only distribution with a route.

#54 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:40 AM

I don't know if this is too "off topic", but except for the beautiful blue skies and better clouds in the simulator, what about "the colors in the sky"?
The sunrise and sunset glare, but also the “dark blue hour” before sunrise or the “pink sky on a cold winter day.” In MSTS this already worked very well, actually something I miss very much in Open Rails .... (just an idea, maybe this can also be "included" when changes are made? Simple thought, but maybe it will be possible again ?)

#55 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:10 AM

QJ-6811, on 02 April 2021 - 03:40 AM, said:

I don't know if this is too "off topic", but except for the beautiful blue skies and better clouds in the simulator, what about "the colors in the sky"?
The sunrise and sunset glare, but also the “dark blue hour” before sunrise or the “pink sky on a cold winter day.” In MSTS this already worked very well, actually something I miss very much in Open Rails .... (just an idea, maybe this can also be "included" when changes are made? Simple thought, but maybe it will be possible again ?)

Hi...

Yeah - all we need is a programmer.
:)

Dawn and Dusk are exceptionally weak in the sim. Personally - I don't recall MSTS being all that great - the only environment I had that looked decent was the one from the "Badlands" project which is what I ran all the time. To really improve dawn/dusk we'd probably need a complete redesign of the environment and the way it operates. I've tried to improve what I can with textures but that's only a small piece of the puzzle. The entire environment really needs attention - as it hasn't been touched for years.

I looked at the code Dave pointed out and it actually seems well documented. Perhaps it's not the can of worms I thought it was - not that I can do anything with it.

I do like Gerry's idea with the graphic icons for his bat files - that's thinking outside the box.

Regards,
Scott

#56 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:07 AM

Weter, on 01 April 2021 - 03:27 PM, said:

Seeing screenshots by Steve with different anoint of clouds here, I thought, that was using of your different variants of sky dome textures. So I was mistaken.

Scott, have you seen my own topic about atmosphere implementation?
Interesting, what would you tell about that problem?
I think, this two topics are related with the same questions.
And the magnificent skies by our colleague from Chilie.

Hi...

Interesting read - seems there's a global interest in improving things.

Regards,
Scott

#57 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:13 PM

I'd love to see a real twilight in the sim. Civil twilight is when the center of the sun on the horizon to -6d'; Nautical Twilight is -6 to -12d. The problem is while the sun is only -12d the whole of the sky seen in the sim would be night. I don't think you can't get there by simply rolling the skydome around.

#58 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

I wonder what it would cost to hire an Indian coder? I have no idea and I don't know how that world works, but maybe it is something this community could pull off?
It is something that another open-source software project I am involved in has done.
Christopher

#59 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:42 PM

7 clouds texture variants, 19 mB
https://yadi.sk/d/cBbLqV5C3G8PZc

#60 User is offline   Durgesh yadav 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman