• You cannot reply to this topic

Developer environment? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:56 AM

Hello all,

I'm wanting to setup a development environment to compile my own version of Open Rails. I would also like to look at the Monogame edition. Given this, What is the recommended development environment for Open Rails Monogame. I would like to limit my dollar output, so if there are "free" or close to "free" alternatives, I would appreciate that info also.

Thanks in Advance..

Barry LeBoeuf, aka amtrak115

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:01 PM

Why not join the OR team? Pretty much you get to work on only the stuff you feel like changing/adding.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

You find here http://www.openrails...eveloping-code/ info about getting the code and compiling it. And - it's all free.

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

Genma Saotome, on 19 February 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

Why not join the OR team? Pretty much you get to work on only the stuff you feel like changing/adding.

Dave, I need to brush up on my skills first. Having been a programmer for years, then transition to project management...I need to upgrade my skills before adding new or fixing bugs in the code. I would like to be able to do that in the future...but I have to start somewhere.

#5 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:44 PM

Csantucci, on 19 February 2021 - 01:35 PM, said:

You find here http://www.openrails...eveloping-code/ info about getting the code and compiling it. And - it's all free.

Thank you sir, missed that link on the web site.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:57 PM

And there was some stuff included to testing versions (forgot its name, as I always delete that folder)

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:09 PM

Amtrak115, on 19 February 2021 - 01:41 PM, said:

Dave, I need to brush up on my skills first. Having been a programmer for years, then transition to project management...I need to upgrade my skills before adding new or fixing bugs in the code. I would like to be able to do that in the future...but I have to start somewhere.

Hi...

Thanks for even contemplating joining the effort...
:sign_thanks:

Regards,
Scott

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:31 PM

Amtrak115, on 19 February 2021 - 01:41 PM, said:

Oh, I do understand that. I moved from lead coder to management, didn't like it and returned to real work doing analysis and data modeling, finishing up as an architect. Having me touch code so long after doing that work would be akin to sabotage.

#9 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:01 PM

Genma Saotome, on 19 February 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Having me touch code so long after doing that work would be akin to sabotage.

While I went into IT management over 20 years ago, I made it a point to never stopped coding... sort of like a management pilot who still has to fly the line to keep their commercial license current.

It was a great motivating tactic for my developers -- if they didn't fix something, they knew I wasn't afraid to dive in and start picking apart their code. Then they'd be fixing two problems. ;)

Even being somewhat current, the thought of diving into the ORTS code gives me the willies.

#10 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:05 AM

Genma Saotome, on 19 February 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Oh, I do understand that. I moved from lead coder to management, didn't like it and returned to real work doing analysis and data modeling, finishing up as an architect. Having me touch code so long after doing that work would be akin to sabotage.

I graduated with a BS in Comp Science back in.....1975. Went in the Air Force where I was the lead programmer for an Air Force effort to put command and control software on the airborne command post. Until we were able to field that software, Command and control of all forces (including Nuclear) was done with grease pencils and rooms full of 3" ring binders of paper. I was 1 of 5 computer guys with 20-30 pilots, navigators, missile launch officers. So you can image that the computer guys did the majority of the software design and debugging. Interestingly we had no civilian contractors involved. it was all Blue Suit. I did that for two National level command post aircraft. After the military, i moved more to project management and less to actual coding. I probably have not generated any code in over 30 years. I've tried to keep up, but with most things...use or loose it. Now that I'm retired, I decided I needed the intellectual exercise of coding again. I've looked at the code for OR, trying to figure out a few things. I got hung one day on Speed post data. after spending several days figuring out that the data, though in text format, is encoded into a variety of different data depending upon flags that proceed the data. it seem to me a very convoluted way of doing data. anyway. I have several ideas that I'd like to explore. several have been discussed and looked at before, but maybe a different set of eyes, even old ones, may see a way to simplify the effort. anyway. thanks for the info, I've downloaded Visual Studio, and debating whether to add XNA or just look at the Monogame version....leaning toward monogame currently. later

Barry

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users