Elvas Tower: Persistent Red Signals - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Persistent Red Signals Signals stay red and no "permission" audible Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gbear38 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

In MSTS, the route and starting location signals work as expected. I have the route installed in the MSTS Route folder. Running the same route in Open Rails, the yard lights are red and all the signal lights are red and stop the train. There is no ~ "permission" voice - don't remember if there is one in Open Rails. Trying to fix this problem, I have deleted all my MSTS and Open Rails files hoping this would help. So MSTS is a new install as is Open Rails. However the signal light problem still persists. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:21 PM

The route...could you be more specific? How about a log? MSTS signal scripts used lots of odd tricks to make things works

#3 User is offline   gbear38 

• Apprentice

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

The route is Monon 2 v8.1, which works fine in MSTS but not in Open Rails. I have attached the Open Rails Log.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

The Monon 2 is up to version 17.
Any reason why you're not using the newer version?

Steve

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

Create an OpenRails folder in the root directory of the route and place in this folder copies of both the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat files. In the sigcfg.dat file make sure all the "SignalNumClearAhead" entries are 4 or larger. There have been considerable advancements and bug fixes since the last stable version you are running, you would do yourself a favor by upgrading to the latest unstable, testing, or the Monogame version. OR will eventually merge with the Monogame version.

Also follow Steve's advice and upgrade to Ver.17of the Monon.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bandicam 2021-02-02 20-39-15-611.jpg

#6 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:22 AM

It could be a screwy SNCA number, but I also see some errors involving next_sig_lr (). That function is used to check the state of the next signal down the line, and if it doesn't work, the signal could very likely be stuck on red because it won't update based on the next signal's state. There are also a ton of duplicate types and such, so the signal files are a bit of a mess

#7 User is offline   gbear38 

• Apprentice

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies and information. I will upgrade Monon to v17 and create a signals folder. However, I must admit to a stupid oversight on my part. I have been away from railroading for a while and gotten rusty (or maybe just older). I mistakenly kept trying to start Open Rails with the MP Start. Finally after reading the manual (sections 5.4.3 and 5.4.4), realized I should be starting with Single Player Start. Problem solved and green lights ahead. Thanks again, Gary

#8 User is offline   agentatascadero 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 02:21 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 02 February 2021 - 08:41 PM, said:

Create an OpenRails folder in the root directory of the route and place in this folder copies of both the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat files. In the sigcfg.dat file make sure all the "SignalNumClearAhead" entries are 4 or larger. There have been considerable advancements and bug fixes since the last stable version you are running, you would do yourself a favor by upgrading to the latest unstable, testing, or the Monogame version. OR will eventually merge with the Monogame version.

Also follow Steve's advice and upgrade to Ver.17of the Monon.

I wonder if this fix would cure my problems with all the weird signaling I see in OR........such as multiple false advance approach indications, where the following signal is green. This occurs in most, if not all, of my MSTS routes. Don't know if Raildriver use affects this, but I do use RD.
Don't know if this is related, but, compared to running in MSTS, running an activity in OR results in changed behavior......for example, I've seen several instances of AI traffic, which in MSTS took the siding, now, in OR, holds the main, causing the player consist to go off path.
If I were to create this file arrangement, then I'd need to do it for each route individually? Would this fix address either of the issues I presented?

AA

#9 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 March 2022 - 02:36 PM

That's automatic passing path processing: there is an option to turn it on/off.

#10 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2022 - 03:58 PM

View Postagentatascadero, on 27 March 2022 - 02:21 PM, said:

I wonder if this fix would cure my problems with all the weird signaling I see in OR........such as multiple false advance approach indications, where the following signal is green. This occurs in most, if not all, of my MSTS routes. Don't know if Raildriver use affects this, but I do use RD.
Don't know if this is related, but, compared to running in MSTS, running an activity in OR results in changed behavior......for example, I've seen several instances of AI traffic, which in MSTS took the siding, now, in OR, holds the main, causing the player consist to go off path.
If I were to create this file arrangement, then I'd need to do it for each route individually? Would this fix address either of the issues I presented?

AA

There's a conflation of two problems going on here.

First: the signal problem could be solved by using the OpenRails folder approach, I would recommend it...it will not do any harm...put both the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat files in the folder.

And the second -- not related:

View Postagentatascadero, on 27 March 2022 - 02:21 PM, said:

...Don't know if this is related, but, compared to running in MSTS, running an activity in OR results in changed behavior......for example, I've seen several instances of AI traffic, which in MSTS took the siding, now, in OR, holds the main, causing the player consist to go off path. If I were to create this file arrangement, then I'd need to do it for each route individually? Would this fix address either of the issues I presented?

AA

I agree with Weter, probably the Option/Simulation Tab/Activity Options >> Location-linked passing path processing. I always keep the box checked, and make adjustments to activities, if necessary.

6.4.8 Location-linked passing path processing
When this option is NOT selected, ORTS acts similarly to MSTS. That is, if two trains meet whose paths
share some track section in a station, but are both provided with passing paths as dened with the MSTS
Activity Editor, one of them will run through the passing path, therefore allowing the meet. Passing paths
in this case are only available to the trains whose path has passing paths.
When this option is selected, ORTS makes available to all trains the main and the passing path of the
player train. Moreover, it takes into account the train length in selecting which path to assign to a train in
case of a meet.
For content developers
A more detailed description of this feature can be found under Location-Linked Passing Path Processing in
the chapter Open Rails Train Operation.

Most Recent OR Manual

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users