• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WIshes for Steam Locomotive advancement Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:23 AM

The wheels for bogie 1 and bogie 2 are, I assume the main driving wheels. These wheels should be numbered wheels 1 through 8 as they are manually animated. Apart from that, your second numbering system is correct. I don't think that the misplaced items have anything to do with the numbering of the bogies and wheels, more likely to be misplaced part axis.

#122 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:01 AM

View Postdarwins, on 21 February 2021 - 10:35 PM, said:

I am rather confused about what is happening with articulated locomotives. (Don't forget many articulated locomotives come in three parts.) I was told some time ago:
See this thread.

However it seems that no one can explain how to name the parts properly.

I tried this:

with two different naming systems:

Main is parent of Bogie 1 and Bogie 2
Bogie 1 has Wheels 11, 12, 13, 14
Bogie 1 is parent of Bogie 11 and Bogie 12
Bogie 11 has Wheels 111, 112
Bogie 12 has Wheels 121
Bogie 2 has Wheels 21, 22, 23, 24
Bogie 2 is parent of Bogie 21 and Bogie 22
Bogie 21 has Wheels 211
Bogie 22 has Wheels 221, 222

Main is parent of Bogie 1 and Bogie 2
Bogie 1 has Wheels 11, 12, 13, 14
Bogie 1 is parent of Bogie 3 and Bogie 4
Bogie 3 has Wheels 31, 32
Bogie 4 has Wheels 41
Bogie 2 has Wheels 21, 22, 23, 24
Bogie 2 is parent of Bogie 5 and Bogie 6
Bogie 5 has Wheels 51
Bogie 6 has Wheels 61, 62

The result was identical in both cases with the sub-bogies and their wheels misplaced.

View Postcopperpen, on 22 February 2021 - 03:23 AM, said:

The wheels for bogie 1 and bogie 2 are, I assume the main driving wheels. These wheels should be numbered wheels 1 through 8 as they are manually animated. Apart from that, your second numbering system is correct. I don't think that the misplaced items have anything to do with the numbering of the bogies and wheels, more likely to be misplaced part axis.

Hi Folks,

Threw together a quick shape replicating the structure of the aforementioned locomotive and animated it - haven't tested in ORTS but I followed the hierarchy you guys laid out. I don't have the other required ORTS files configured yet - but - if you want to compare shapes it might prove helpful. I don't have time to finish the other files now but I am kind of curious to see how it would track through curves/switches.

Attached File  MalletTest.zip (112.94K)
Number of downloads: 292

Regards,
Scott

#123 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:14 AM

Hi Folks,

Just the hierarchy to make it easier:
Attached Image: Capture.JPG

Regards,
Scott

#124 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for that.

I think you might need to move the main centre down by say 2.440 m...

https://imgur.com/8W9T34f.jpg

If I do that with sfm.hta then brilliant stuff - all the bogies and wheels appear in the correct places along the y and z axes.

https://imgur.com/8zBInJQ.jpg

Going around corners, I can see the bogies and sub-bogies animate correctly. Good, so what can I learn from that?
If I centre all my bogies and sub-bogies to track height (zero?) in the y direction then they all now appear at the correct(ish) height. The bogies are in the correct z positions, but the wheels, which are children of the bogies are not in the correct z position at all.

https://imgur.com/obi89iF.jpg

So a look at your shape file and mine, reveals our software exporting these differently

https://imgur.com/fSNA5FN.jpg

Your positions for wheels31 and so on are relative to the bogie centre of bogie 3, mine are not.

This is where I have to say I am still working in TSM - an old dog that needs to learn some new software.

After a dozen attempts of trying to put the wheels where I thought they would export correctly, I have given up. The only way I can get all my wheels in the correct places seems to be manually editing the shape file.

https://imgur.com/qBRxAH3.jpg

So now it know that is possible, the question is do I really want to go ahead and build an East African Railways garrat or not. Anyone got a metre gauge East African route? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatingbullets.gif

#125 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

View Postdarwins, on 22 February 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

Thanks for that.

I think you might need to move the main centre down by say 2.440 m...

If I do that with sfm.hta then brilliant stuff - all the bogies and wheels appear in the correct places along the y and z axes.

Going around corners, I can see the bogies and sub-bogies animate correctly. Good, so what can I learn from that?
If I centre all my bogies and sub-bogies to track height (zero?) in the y direction then they all now appear at the correct(ish) height. The bogies are in the correct z positions, but the wheels, which are children of the bogies are not in the correct z position at all.

So a look at your shape file and mine, reveals our software exporting these differently

Your positions for wheels31 and so on are relative to the bogie centre of bogie 3, mine are not.

This is where I have to say I am still working in TSM - an old dog that needs to learn some new software.

After a dozen attempts of trying to put the wheels where I thought they would export correctly, I have given up. The only way I can get all my wheels in the correct places seems to be manually editing the shape file.

So now it know that is possible, the question is do I really want to go ahead and build an East African Railways garrat or not. Anyone got a metre gauge East African route? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sweatingbullets.gif

Hi Darwin,

There are so few of us involved with steam - I'm more than happy to help.

:sign_oops: LOL - I know what I did - it was quick and dirty...

Can't help with TSM but building steam locomotives is where 3DC shines - I generated each bogie with a couple of clicks with Paul Gausden's plugin - each one started life as a Pacific and I added an extra axle - then simply slapped them together under the main shape.

Glad it proves the concept - good luck in Africa - watch out for the man eaters of Tsavo - I've heard they like railroad workers.

Regards,
Scott

#126 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

View Postdarwins, on 22 February 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

So how about an Australian Garrat instead? http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

#127 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:37 AM

I decided to do a little experiment in regards to the single-unit articulated investigation. Here is a rather crude test model of a 4-6-6-4 Challenger locomotive that I built, demonstrating the hierarchy. Empties are used for the eccentrically-placed pivot points, such as those for the front and rear chassis ("BOGIE1" and "BOGIE2") and the rear of the trailing truck ("BOGIE4").

As of now it's just a work in progress...still more work needs to be done, both on my part and on the part of the OR development team--namely how to "animate" the jointed and telescopic steam pipes running between the boiler and the front chassis, and "anchoring" the front cylinder cock emitters to the front chassis as well...

#128 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:26 AM

The steam pipes can be done by the modeller. Name them as rods and animate like all the other rods.

#129 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 25 February 2021 - 11:26 AM, said:

The steam pipes can be done by the modeller. Name them as rods and animate like all the other rods.

The way you suggest I do this seems unclear--animating the steam pipes as rods would suggest that they animate continuously while the engine is in motion. All I want is for the pipes to pivot so they "follow" the front cylinders when the engine goes around a curve.

In this photo, you can see the pipes underneath the smokebox, one end is fastened to the dividing tee (attached to the boiler) and the other end attached to the front cylinder.

Here's a drawing demonstrating how the steam pipes would pivot.

#130 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

Well guys I'm back! After having my PC go down on me last weekend and having to rebuild part of it I got it back up and running tonight! Luckally I did not loose any Open Rails stuff in the process. So what did I miss?

Brandon

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users