• You cannot reply to this topic

WIshes for Steam Locomotive advancement Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

Hey everyone,

As we start seeing more advanced models of steam locomotives come out and myself building the Milwaukee Road 261 at the moment a couple of ideas dawned on me while I have been building it and testing it out. I have been reading through the Open Rails manual for more physics, smoke and other animations that could be added to steam locomotives and I have added many of them to this model.

One thing I came across was the Boiler Blow down feature. However on many late steam locomotives there were 2 of them that were controlled simultaneously. One for each side of the boiler. Right now we have it set up so that both sides go off at the same time. Would it be possible to make it so one could control either side independently from one another?

Something that has always bugged me with Open Rails is how the exhaust just floats out of the stack even at full throttle and doesn't have the power to shoot out of the stack like it should. The throttle just has more smoke float out the more you open the throttle when in reality it should really shoot more up in the sky. This is one major flaw I find annoying in Open Rails when all of the other Train Simulator programs all have this feature to a point. I know it takes a lot of work to do this but it would be a major improvement if it was done. This also goes along with the blower while standing still. The smoke has improved but it could be so much better with a little more added to it. If we could get two different types of smoke would even be better. One for the applyances and another for the stack and cylinders. The smoke needs to be dependent on how much the throttle is open and how hard it is working. The way it is being fired and how much the blower is on. Of course every locomotive would need to have the stack and rotation of the wheels synced but if we have sound that can be synced to the wheels it should be that much more to sync the smoke with it as well.

Another thought is having more steam emit in cold or damn weather VS warm/hot weather like in real life.

Would it be possible to add boosters that actually work for steam locomotives as many steam locomotives had them here in the US.

Here in the US many steam locomotives also have more then one steam whistle. As a matter of fact the Milwaukee Road 261 has 2 whistles and an air horn. It would be nice to be able to change whistles and air horn without having to make a whole new SMS file just for that. Many other steam locomotives also have air horns on them along with steam whistles. Some steam locomotives have 2 or 3 different whistles on them. Yes you can use the sander for the air horn but it doesn't make sense any more with Open Rails especially when you need the sander and the air horn goes off.

These are just a few ideas I had and I am sure there are many more that others could come up with.

Brandon

#2 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

The last thing I see is from 2019 called Steam Locomotive Exhaust and the last one to comment in it was myself so I thought I would make a new topic hoping to shed light on it again!

Brandon

#3 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:20 PM

I see, but that thread was also started in 2017 and just recently got bumped to talk about things other then Stack exhaust from the looks of it.

Brandon

#4 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:09 PM

Its all good. Not a problem at all. Just feel a new thread would be good to get the juices flowing again and give the Open Rails team some more ideas for Steam Locomotives then just exhaust. There is so much that should and could be done in the steam department that Open Rails is lacking. I am sure I am not the only one that notices it either.

Brandon

#5 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

If you don't mind me adding to this discussion, I made a proposal not long ago to allow for specifying different boiler-feeding devices on locomotives. So instead of OR acting as if all steam locomotives have one live steam injector and one exhaust steam injector (common in Europe and the UK, not always appropriate in the US), you could specify your loco to have, for example, one live steam injector and a feedwater heater system (in the case of a large loco) or two live steam injectors (for smaller, older locos).

This could potentially be done by using simple, generic terms to describe the equipment, such as "Nonlifting_Live_Steam_Injector", "Centrifugal_Cold_Water_Pump", or "Open_Type_Feedwater_Heater" in parameters called ORTSSteamWaterSystem1EquipmentType and ORTSSteamWaterSystem2EquipmentType. (Just like brake equipment is specified using the BrakeEquipmentType parameter.)

#6 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

Additional vomiting, if I take back the handle of the handlebars while driving, the smoke should decrease. It is listed as a Cutoff entry in the eng file.
The amount of steam entering the cylinders is determined by the steering lever and the regulator together.
Sorry if you have difficulty understanding Google translate.

#7 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:33 AM

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I think Peter is the only one doing any steam development on the code and we’ve had a substantial amount of offline discussion about it. While Peter - at the time - was willing to make changes and improvements to the code - the one thing he insisted upon was using hard data to make the changes. That data is hard to come by and I’ve attempted to research much of it myself - so if you have something you want changed with the physics - I’d suggest doing some research to obtain the data.

From my testing - I don’t think the injectors have any effect on steam production while they had a substantial effect in MSTS. You had to be very careful in MSTS when you added water and from which injector - as it could kill you on a climb. ORTS doesn’t care - run one or both continually and you will make steam just fine.

Regards,
Scott

#8 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Scott,

I have also talked to Peter as well and I am willing to help him out as much as I am able too. However I do not know coding so I wont be able to help out in that respect but obtaining hard data I could look for. The major thing that I have been asking for is the smoke. We need 2 different smoke/steam effects. One for the appliances and the other for the stack and cylinders. That is one major thing that really bugs me about Open Rails and that fact that the smoke does not blast out of the stack when you have the throttle wide open. For the smoke to look right it needs to be effected by wind, throttle, how it is being fired, and the blower.

Brandon

#9 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:09 AM

ATSF3751, on 17 January 2021 - 06:41 AM, said:

Thanks Scott,

I have also talked to Peter as well and I am willing to help him out as much as I am able too. However I do not know coding so I wont be able to help out in that respect but obtaining hard data I could look for. The major thing that I have been asking for is the smoke. We need 2 different smoke/steam effects. One for the appliances and the other for the stack and cylinders. That is one major thing that really bugs me about Open Rails and that fact that the smoke does not blast out of the stack when you have the throttle wide open. For the smoke to look right it needs to be effected by wind, throttle, how it is being fired, and the blower.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I think Peter is the only ORTS developer changing the steam code - he was willing to do all the coding - what he asked of other participants was data research and methodic testing of changes. I'm not sure if he's still active as I haven't noticed any recent posts from him.

To the best of my knowledge - Robert was the only ORTS developer who had a firm grasp on the particle system to make substantial changes to effects. I believe he left the community long ago. It took him a while to get where we are today. One thing that improves effects (if you don't have it) is Marc's smoke effect texture update on 3DTrains - it's far better than default.

I'm not sure how large the active ORTS Development Team is but I'm sure we could use more talent.

Regards,
Scott

#10 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

Hi Folks,

Since this is a list - a couple of mine:
  • Steam Locomotive Wheel Slip Animation Needs to be Retarded to Behave More Prototypical.
  • Steam Locomotive Per Axle Wheel Radius (many steam locomotives have different sized wheel on different trucks - sometimes on the same truck).
  • Feedwater System Physics.
  • AI Train Automatic Cylinder Cock Operation (say anytime slower than 15 MPH?).
  • Cylinder Cocks for Articulated Locomotives.
  • Improved Injector Physics.
  • More Light Switches to Accommodate Class Lights.
  • Booster Trucks.
  • Rod Animation on Tenders for Booster Trucks (haven't tested - maybe it works already?).
  • Fire Modeling Physics.
  • Ability to Define Each Headout Initial Position/Direction in ENG File.

Regards,
Scott

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users