Elvas Tower: Blower System for Electric Tractions - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blower System for Electric Tractions Request for New feature for Electric Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:10 AM

Now, we have only rudimentar setting at *.eng -files in form of two parameters for water and oil maximal temperatures.
Maybe, they could be shown by cab gauges...

So, I'm afraid, there are no cab-controls available.

Real 2ТЭ116 has 4 tumblers for every radiator-cooling fan, which could be seen at the first row on the cab-stand model at simulators.
As well of electro-thermometers for distant temperature-measure of oil and water at "yuor"(leading) and coupled section(s) of the locomotive.

Of cource, the variators- and hydrostatic -based systems were completly-automatic and had some controls (valves, gauges) at engine-rooms only.

#12 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the details Weter. It was an interesting read.

Weter, on 09 January 2021 - 02:10 AM, said:

Now, we have only rudimentar setting at *.eng files in form of two parameters for water and oil temperatures.
Maybe, they could be shown by cab gauges...

Yes, this I am aware of. Hopefully we have features to introduce aux system temperature.

#13 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:51 AM

Now, as we know the IRL-facts, let's formulate, which of features do we whish to be mplemented in ORTS, and how had they look for us.

The more efficient cooling allows the smaller-in size motors to give much more power, with no risk of isolation-meltdown.
So it's essential for weight-saving strategy of locomotive-design.

The drivers have to take care of living fans on, or turn them to high-speed, during locomotive coasting for acceleratig of TM cooling.

Another practice (i said about that earlier) is supplying fans, blowing on DB-rheostats wiht dynamic-brake "free" power.
This way, they automatic follow the DB load and take part on dissipating DB-power, consuming part of it by themselfs.

#14 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for all the detailed description so far. Its a consolidation of many facts at one place.

As to the details on the cooling system, I am not aware as to how the physics could be modelled in general. As per your description, diesel-electric locomotives have more parameters involved in controlling the blower system. So in the end, every system type determines if they are automatic/manual and when and how the blowers are started or turned off.

With this in mind, do you know certain typical RPM-Temperature or Voltage-Temperature or Current-Temperature characteristics curves involved with these systems?

My initial idea was the OR users should be able to add a block in .eng which provides a table of one or many characteristic curve described above - this would model any locomotive of desire in the aux temperature performance.

As like the brake system where there are settings like the BrakePipeChargingRate etc, might be that we need some crucial loco specific parameters in the .eng file as how the blowers should be turned ON/OFF based on these entries in addition to the characteristics curve. My description is vague but its just a pitch towards an idea.

These are just my initial thoughts, I wonder what the OpenRails Development team thinks on them.

#15 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:11 AM

Even road cars have electric-propelled fan for fuel efficiency.

You just remembered to me the jalousee of radiators (see that topic, i adviced to You earlier) are controlled by temperature or manually too.
Curves? why so complex?
See compressor-logic:
temperature of turning on/temperature for turning off
Ah, yes: how temperature will react to all that. Yes, curves are needed.

#16 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for this interesting discussion.

#17 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:27 AM

Hope, all that, will help us to realize, what and how should be done.

#18 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

gdineshnathan, on 09 January 2021 - 12:15 AM, said:

Interesting to know that D-E traction have blowers RPM are based on more factors and I have done the same, emulation with cues at idle. I wish there were separate triggers to handle them.
To my knowledge, in electric locomotives blowers would run at a fixed RPM. Its power consuming due to large number of blower machines and engineer turns off during stopping or maybe during downhill runs etc.

In diesel locomotives it's no big deal to just run the motor blower (or blowers) off the auxiliary alternator. On EMD locomotives with the single large blower behind the cab, you can even hear it, since the blower noise is heinously loud at high RPM. This video demonstrates it pretty well. It's the loud humming/buzzing noise at the upper end of the RPM range.

Anyway, here's a clip of an EMD locomotive in dynamic braking. Generally, EMD locomotives power the engine up to run 4 or so. Later EMD locomotives (Dash-2-ish, or so I've been told) have two-speed dynamic braking, which means that the engine remains at idle until the system reaches 545-ish amps.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users