Elvas Tower: Open Rails Tutorial for Shunting Activities - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Tutorial for Shunting Activities Activity Pack for TS_StarterRoute Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:19 AM

I have created a tutorial to help people "get started" with shunting activities in Open Rails. This was designed for people who are new to Open Rails, or new to shunting activities. It is formed from a set of nine activities that should be run in sequence because the first few activities have very detailed instructions, while later ones are more complex, and have fewer instructions or hints.

The activities are based on TS_StarterRoute, which is an older version of the Starter Route currently being offered by trainsimulations.com and featured on the Open Rails download site. The activities should work on any version of the route downloaded before 2020-10-20, or so.

Work is currently underway to improve the tutorial instructions, and upgrade the package for the newest version of this route.

You can obtain the package from www.trainsim.com -- look for "open_rails_starter_tutorial_1_0x.zip". You will also need "open_rails_starter_tutorial_1_1.zip" as the first activity of the original release was faulty. Links are provided below:

https://www.trainsim...right&fid=36048
https://www.trainsim...right&fid=36050

#2 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice

Post icon  Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

Peter Murdock & I have just finished adapting the tutorial package for the most recent version of the route. I have just uploaded the package, and it is now available in the trainsim.com File Library via the link below:

https://www.trainsim...right&fid=36266

The activities have been re-written using TSRE (rather than MSTS Activity Editor), so they should be easier for other people to modify. The tutorial messages have been improved, and they are friendlier as well as less intrusive.

As a BONUS, I have included a set guides on "Customizing, Improving, and Building Activities".

Regards,
Dan Reid

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:41 AM

Well done, guys, both for your original guides and for updating them to accompany the latest version of the route.

The Open Rails website recently added a page on activities which basically points to Dale's work on the Siskiyou Route.

Would you mind if I add some notes there with links to your work too?

#4 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:05 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 26 February 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

Well done, guys, both for your original guides and for updating them to accompany the latest version of the route.

The Open Rails website recently added a page on activities which basically points to Dale's work on the Siskiyou Route.

Would you mind if I add some notes there with links to your work too?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the compliment. Peter and I are in agreement, and we accept your offer to post references to our package.

Thanks,

Dan Reid

#5 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:42 AM

I downloaded the package, gave it a quick read through and was immediately impressed by the how much thought and work went into it. Excellent work folks...much appreciation here, it will indeed be a useful tool for people new to OR. I have not had much time to look everything over to provide a useful critique, however I noticed one typ0 ( http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif not a big deal ).

From README2 --- "A01 (9am Spring, Rain) Easy 45m" -- the activity loads Spring, Snow....easily changed by the user.
I did notice no mention of using the OR log to identify problems when they occur...I think this is a significant oversight. Many users, especially those new to OR, are not aware of the log, nor have taken the time to figure out how to use it. If, in my admittedly cursory and quick reading of the materials, I've missed any mention of the OR log -- please accept my apologies.
All-in-All a really fine effort, wonderful example of co-operative teamwork and dedication to a task, the community should be appreciative of this addition to Open Rails.

#6 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:52 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your kind comments about our package! I agree that the log is a very useful and important tool and all users should learn to use it. Perhaps a section introducing the OR log (what/where it is and what some common error lines mean) could be added to the OR website (instead of only the manual) just to increase everyone's awareness about it?

Thanks,
Peter

#7 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:00 AM

View PostPeter M., on 27 February 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Thanks for your kind comments about our package! I agree that the log is a very useful and important tool and all users should learn to use it. Perhaps a section introducing the OR log (what/where it is and what some common error lines mean) could be added to the OR website (instead of only the manual) just to increase everyone's awareness about it?

I think Gerry wanted a mention of the OpenRailsLog.txt file inside your Activities Package.

How about if you do that, then I'll add a mention on the website. Is that a deal?

#8 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:40 AM

View PostA D REID, on 26 February 2021 - 12:05 PM, said:

Peter and I are in agreement, and we accept your offer to post references to our package.

Done now; see Learn > Activities

#9 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for adding our package to the website, we appreciate your recognition.

View Postcjakeman, on 28 February 2021 - 01:00 AM, said:

How about if you do that, then I'll add a mention on the website. Is that a deal?

Dan and I have agreed that instructions regarding the OR log (What it is and where it is created, why to post it when they have problems, and how to use it to check their own activities) will definitely be included if/when we decide to create an update to our package. We would like to give users some time to try out the activities and find any other errors before we pursue an update.

Thanks,
Peter

#10 User is offline   Schmidtrock 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails, TRS19

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

Thank you Dan and Peter for this! It’s helping me a great deal in learning to use Open Rails.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users