• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make tunnels realistically dark inside Would it be possible? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:29 AM

Hello everyone, I am not sure if anybody already asked for it or point it out but it would be something good to implement (of course if it is possible).
No matter if is day or night but inside the tunnels you can always see the tracks and the walls of the tunnel, even if the train lights are turned off. This is seems something inherited from MSTS with his graphic engine limitation, but I was thinking about if making a tunnels very dark inside would be achievable in OpenRails.

I've seen some videos where other train sim (like Simulatore Treno by Paolo Sbaccheri) is using a realistic light inside the tunnels (without mentioning TS2021) so do you think is something possible to implement in OpenRails as well?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:53 AM

On standard track, the rails are sun orientated. On UKFS track, the rails are darken via a different texture. You can add a new and different texture for standard track with tunnel sections and opening the shape file to read the different track texture.

The walls of the tunnel can be adjusted by altering the texture for a more darken appearance via a graphic editor. There should be alternative textures to download for this very purpose.

The one main thing in tunnels that is totally unrealistic is the appearance of trains in tunnels when daylight. They appear to be sun orientated and very bright.

Of course, a "one does all" would be the easiest solution for the above!

Thanks

#3 User is offline   PTrains87 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

I do apologise, I said the wrong simulator. It wasn't Simulatore Treno by Paolo Sbaccheri but it was OpenBVE.

Whilst I understand what you are saying Coolhand, on the other hand we are still talking about a workaround, not a real "dark tunnel" implementation.
I did a collage with a comparison between OR/MSTS, OpenBVE and a real photo taken inside a tunnel.

Attached Image: TunnelLight_Example.jpg

You can see the clear differences. I hope the OR developers can increase the realisms of this simulator by adding a realistic light inside a tunnel.

Regards.

#4 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

PTrains87, on 29 December 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

Whilst I understand what you are saying Coolhand, on the other hand we are still talking about a workaround, not a real "dark tunnel" implementation.
I did a collage with a comparison between OR/MSTS, OpenBVE and a real photo taken inside a tunnel.

You can see the clear differences. I hope the OR developers can increase the realisms of this simulator by adding a realistic light inside a tunnel.

The MSTS image is showing day sleeper and ballast textures. Most routes have separate tunnel textures. The BVE image is how UKFS and my own standard tunnels look like.

I did say a "one in all" would be the best solution as I would like the trains to be dark as well. And if it wasn't for workarounds, I doubt I would still be using MSTS content today!

Thanks

#5 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 30 December 2020 - 12:31 AM

PTrains87, on 29 December 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

I do apologise, I said the wrong simulator. It wasn't Simulatore Treno by Paolo Sbaccheri but it was OpenBVE.

TunnelLight_Example.jpg

Regards.
136 / 5000
Fordítási találatok
It's just a matter of texture. There are also textures where only the "lamps" on the wall light up. Of course, this is also true for the track body

#6 User is offline   Icik 

• Conductor

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:08 AM

One annoying feature is also that the shadows of external objects are projected in the tunnel. I tried to cover the tunnel with another model (pipe), but the light and shadows from the trees were projected further inwards. In the OR a "black hole" must be defined, some darkness and procedurally stretched over the model or prepare a new property for the tunnel models and the objects contained in it. Maybe a shader could handle it. But who has such knowledge for it?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users