Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dynamic loading strategy for terrain and scenery Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:00 AM

This is not an issue which is of interest for people having powerful computers, that is for people that don't experience problems like this one
Attached Image: Void.jpg
where terrain and scenery aren't loaded on time.

I instead do experience this problem, due to my old computer. I do experience it especially on HS routes or very crowded routes. In both cases the loading process is set under stress: in the first case because tiles flow very fast under the train, and in the second one because tile scenery is very dense.
At the moment the loader process works this way: when loading starts, the tiles to be considered for loading are the ones around the actual camera position. Until the loading of such tiles (both terrain and scenery) is terminated, a new loading doesn't start. So, if the loading process is long, it may well occur that the camera has already changed tile during tile loading, and this is not considered until the loading process is terminated. This causes loading of tiles which are no more actual, which wastes computer time and prevents loading of more useful tiles.
So I have implemented a tentative improvement, where the actual process is corrected this way: before starting load of terrain or scenery of a tile, it is checked whether the tile is still of interest, that is whether it is still below the maximum viewing distance from the new camera position. If the condition is not satisfied, the terrain and/or the scenery are not loaded.
This, together with the inclusion of some VertexBuffer related code present in the MG version generated by James for the Unstable release, seems to improve the situation, and has been inserted in OR NewYear MG rev.85.
If this is of interest and seems to work also for other people, I'll generate also a PR for the official OR release.

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:45 AM

At Alfold huge route I wait for minutes on some tiles border to see details.
If I use time acceleration-the outcome is the same on other routes,
Thank for explaining the mechanism of loading-now I see.
Of course, I'll wait&interested in the implementation.
What inspired me in TarasBer's tram simulator, was the kind of programming and then, development "challenge":
To force users with weak comps, feel "full immerse/presence effect" by as limited measures, as possible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users