• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TSRE Photo Terrtex - Batch Process Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:59 PM

I've been a user of photo-terrtex for many years, and the improvements that Goku has made in TSRE over earlier attempts (e.g SRT) are incredible.

What's not incredible is how long it takes. I'm getting ready to resume work on a couple of routes, and it is only possible to run this utility on a per-tile basis by hand. Getting into a rhythm, it takes around 60 seconds per tile, sometimes less.

My problem is... one of the routes I'm getting ready to resume work on has over 4000 world files with objects in them, and probably another 1000 tiles that would be adjacent and visible.

I don't think I can spend 90 hours clicking and loading/saving terrtex.

Is there a way to consider batch processing the terrtex via an input list of either tile names or world file names?

Here's a video of the step-by-step process for a single tile...

https://youtu.be/aKLDmgZtfVc

F3 to enable Geo menu, and press “.” to fly at constant altitude

Repeat the following 5000 times...

• Move to tile
  • Click on tile
  • Click load map
  • Popup appears
    • Select Raster Z17 (only need to do this once)
    • Click Load
    • Wait for 42/42 images to be loaded
    • Click Save to Disk
    • Exit popup

• Click Make Tile Texture from Map
  • Double click on tile

Occassionally save Route and Terrtex to stop editor from blowing up (which happened a couple times to me when the unsaved tiles got to be more than 15...)

#2 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:56 AM

An additional request... Persist the selected image format e.g. Z17, Z18, OSM Vector so that it remains between editing sessions...

#3 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:27 AM

Some automation help with photo-terrtex would be very welcome. You need a very good internet connection though. Without this the raster process (or whatever it is) will sometimes hang, and so supervision is required.
In addition automating file compression as well.
I think the community could work together to make a best practice guide for handling TSRE terrtex.
For example, I think the raw files are stored as .png in terrain_maps, and then converted to .ace in terrtex. I`m not clear though what kind of compression is accepted by OR /TSRE. (my attempt at dxt1 with tgatools2 waa not successful)
There is an option to change the terrtex resolution in settings.text. What does this actually do?
I find I must always alter the colour balance in photoshop to correct a heavy blue bias in GE UK images. The results are well worth the effort.
Rick

#4 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:36 AM

I have here the program "Solution for Real Terrain" It works with the old versions of Google Earth. Unfortunately, Google has disabled access to the Earth database for the old programs. We would need a programmer here, who could change the access for the program analogous to the access of TSRE, so that the program works again.

Solution for Real Terrain

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:00 PM

I wouldn't recommend that. It was good for the time, but there are some anomalies in the coding that resulted in jagged tile skewing that was quite noticeable. Roads and ROW didn't line up when you crossed a tile boundary.

Goku's code produces a much more seamless tiling. Roads actually flow from tile to tile.

Short term, I did a quick mouse-simulation app in C# that will click up to four tiles and run thru the mouse clicks. That's allowing me to do real work on one PC while the other churns away loading maps and creating Terrtex. I've been able to get about half the Tucson-Yuma route re-textured this week.

Longer term, if the batch option isn't something that can be done... a few nice to haves:

1) Add an option to the TILE popup to Load/Save/Make tile texture from map with one click.
2) Persist the option of the last map source/resolution selected (e.g. z17 would persist session to session)

Also.... Something's goofy with using the map load and memory... After about 30-40 tiles, TSRE has reliably crashed and evaporated. Gone. Poof. Vanished.

I've taken to saving my work every 2-3 tiles so that I'm not losing too much, but just like the MSTS-RE, it's probably worth closing to the desktop once in a while instead of hoping the app does some garbage collection.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users