Elvas Tower: Seasonal Textures for Rolling Stock - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Seasonal Textures for Rolling Stock Is it possible / is there interest? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:11 AM

I have generated a trial version of OR NewYear MG , that I have called OR NewYear MG 83RAIN, that implements a basic RAIN textures feature: shapes (including trainset shapes) having a RAIN subfolder and having the .sd file conveniently setup display the textures present in the RAIN subfolder.
To state that a shape has the RAIN textures it must have the parameter ESD_Alternative_Texture incremented by 512.
Here is the download link
http://www.interazio...ear_MG_RAIN.zip
The feature will enter more official version if it will be positively used.
Adding the feature to terrain, forests and transfers requires changes in the logic selecting a replacement texture when the one corresponding to the weather and season environment is missing, which now in many cases displays the "Missing" texture in such case.

#22 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:52 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 December 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

I have generated a trial version of OR NewYear MG , that I have called OR NewYear MG 83RAIN, that implements a basic RAIN textures feature: shapes (including trainset shapes) having a RAIN subfolder and having the .sd file conveniently setup display the textures present in the RAIN subfolder.
To state that a shape has the RAIN textures it must have the parameter ESD_Alternative_Texture incremented by 512.
Adding the feature to terrain, forests and transfers requires changes in the logic selecting a replacement texture when the one corresponding to the weather and season environment is missing, which now in many cases displays the "Missing" texture in such case.

Thank you.

#23 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 December 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

Sounds great, downloading now!

Thanks for putting this together,
Peter

#24 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:39 PM

It would be really nice if we could get some degree of specular control with rain textures. Gloss surfaces don't darken like porous or matte surfaces do when they're wet, but everything should reflect a little more light. In an ideal world, I think the sim ought to bump the specular level up maybe 10 points in rain on pretty much everything because wet surfaces get shiny. Only bumping it up a little bit - say from 0 to 5 or 10, or 20 to 25 or 30 - would do the trick.

I could, for example, paint some highlights and add some reflection-ish effects to the rain textures, but as a static thing, it would probably look really cheesy (like painted-on snow and ice without bump mapping does). Similarly, let's say we end up with reflection maps at some point. Will the sim bump up the blending of the reflection data slightly in rain (which is probably what it ought to do)? Would we need a separate reflection map in the rain folder? Could we get away with using the same diffuse map since there shouldn't be much change in the diffuse data for most surfaces? Just thinking ahead a bit.

I still think we ought to have the ability at some point to flag a model for a specular map that controls the specular highlight on a per-pixel basis in the SD file. Then you could throw a different specular map in the /rain folder and get some really good rain effects. It would also do wonders for rusty equipment that still has some gloss or satin paint.

#25 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

I sent a PM to Carlos the other day about this topic and suggested a shader might be the most straightforward way to do it. If the shader could darken things over time and reverse the effect over time you'd have getting wet and drying out. I assume specular control could be done in a shader as well.

Unfortunately a shader is a different sort of thing to create and implement and doing \rain was easy... so we have \Rain. I'm pretty pleased with that and will be testing the new feature tomorrow.

#26 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

Carlo, m y apologies for not posting in a timely way... I download your software a day or so after you posted it and ran a test. it looks good. I need to remove \snow and test it again but I rather doubt there will be any problems.

Thanks so much! I've been wanting this for years. Here in California, like places around the Mediterranean the rainy season is in winter. We might see a dusting of snow on the highest hills but that's not really what you'd say winter is like. Winter = rain. And so this is a good feature for places like that.

#27 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Is anything affected at 1.3.1-275?
I see only gray substitute texture on rolling-stock, driving at winter-time.

#28 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

The feature is available only in OR NewYear MG as of now.

#29 User is offline   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

Testing: not all locomotives loss their textures at winter, but M62 does

#30 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

Weter,
this most likely depends from the .sd file of the loco's .s file. If such .sd file has a value of parameter ESD_Alternative_Texture that foresees seasonal textures and they are missing, the missing texture is displayed.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users