• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brake Settings at Startup How to adjust Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bert Wise 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 November 2020 - 03:48 PM

Hi there

I've been working on adjusting the cab views and lighting on several of my locomotives by loading them up in OR, releasing the brakes and throttling up. I've managed to correct several errors, such as improperly placed lights and improper throttle/reverser animations.

One thing that has me puzzled though are the initial settings for the engine brakes and train brakes. On some engines, when I start to release them the engine brakes start at 94% and the train brakes at 35%. Other engines are 0% & 80% or even 0% & 0%.

I've compared the braking sections of the various engine files but I am unable to determine which parameter controls these brakes at startup. I've also looked through the MSTS TechDocs and the OR manual but I can't find any relevant reference.

What I want to accomplish is having the engine brakes set at 40% and the train brakes at 35% (these may not be realistic but, little steps).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bert

#2 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:57 PM

Hey Bert. In your .eng file, which can be opened in WordPad or with a text editor such as ConText, search for "EngineControllers" which will take you to the section of the file dealing with the actions of the regulator, cutoff and both train and engine brakes. Behind the Brake_Engine and Brake_Train you will see four values. The fourth value is the percentage of application at the start of an activity. a 1 sets the brake to 100% and a zero to 0%. For your values you want to set the Engine_Brake to 0.4 and the Brake_Train to 0.35. I personally start my locos at 100% engine brake and 0% train brake. My 'normal' for activities is to start with a light engine and that is the way she'd be set up when I climb into the cab.

That should get it done. :bigboss:

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:11 PM

At the *eng-file's text, that You're editing, find section
engine controllers ( "their number total"
"Some controller" (0 1 0,x A)
num notches ( "their quantity"
Notch (
it's definition
etc.
where:
0 1 is "full range, that is possible" reference
0,x is the single step size (how fast the lever will be moved/movement by the single fast key press)
A is initial setting (in percent, if you would) of lever at start

Summary: to set-up desired A is what you looking for; if you not satisfied with lever set accuracy, or you think, it takes too long to reach desired position in unnotched sectors-you should try to play with third setting, changing x from 001 to 9 (you'll have 0,001 to 0,9 step size)

Example: the A you need is 0,2 here-change it to 0,35 as you desire, but note: this is not application size, but the position of handle within full it's range, so note the notch location, you want to be set actually!
Brake_Train ( 0 1.0 0.01 0.2
NumNotches ( 9
Notch ( 0       0 TrainBrakesControllerOverchargeStart ) Comment ( RELS = Overcharges ATP to 5.40 bar )
Notch ( 0.01 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart ) Comment ( RUN = 5.00 bar )
Notch ( 0.02 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( INIL 1 = 4.60 bar )
Notch ( 0.16 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( 2 = 4.35 bar )
Notch ( 0.40 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( 3 = 4.10 bar )
Notch ( 0.65 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( 4 = 3.85 bar )
Notch ( 0.80 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( 5 = 3.60 bar )
Notch ( 0.99 0 TrainBrakesControllerEPApplyStart ) Comment ( FULL SERV 6 = 3.35 bar )
Notch ( 1.00 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart ) Comment ( EMGCY )))
Comment ( RELEASE has separate overcharge button )

#4 User is offline   Bert Wise 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

Herb, Weter - Thanks for the info. Going back and looking at the techdocs, it's reffered to as <default-val>. Guess I should have seen that.

Bert

#5 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:53 PM

So, if the notches are designated as "dummy" - that "default" value'll give you result as you've desired.(most likely true for EB levers)
But if the notches linked with some tokens (like TrainBrakeController(some action)Start in our example at post above), then you'll have to experiment, for finding the meaning of the fourth number, wich will give you, what you want.

Good luck, Bert.

#6 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:19 PM

One thing about the train brakes that has been changed in later iterations of ORTS is the settings for entering Emergency braking. It used to be that you could go to FULL SERV without accidentally slipping into Emergency. It took another tap beyond FULL SERV to go into the 'big hole.' No longer. Not as set up in the example Weter gives us. Has something to do with modifications to the software for European vacuum brakes but it has this effect on automatic air (train brakes).

A quick fix is to amend that last line to read Notch ( 1.10 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart ) Comment ( EMGCY ))). Adding the .1 prevents the brake from going into Emergency unless you tap the key again.

As I said 'quick fix' until the developers realize they have created an unintended consequence and fix the darn thing. And yes, it has been brought to the attention of the ones who changed it. :rolleyes: :bigboss:

#7 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:51 PM

Unfortunate omission :(
I didn't note that yet, happily, as RS I using has notched DVs.

#8 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:58 PM

Also note that it doesn't matter where you set the default handle position, OR will always load with a full service application if the value is non-zero. It doesn't matter if you set it to 1% or 100%, the result is always the same. You can get OR to load with a 10 PSI reduction if you specify a value of zero for the train brake lever, but this automatically releases after about 20 seconds. They should probably fix all of that.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users