• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem getting road sections to align Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

I am building a 6 lane expressway using Newroads 4.0. In some cases I have great difficulty getting sections to snap together. Especially when the road is elevated. I use the crtl-Q function to disable auto add to RDB, and shift-Q to not stick to terrain. In one case I have a curved road section elevated and on a slight incline that I am trying to connect to a piece that crosses a bridge over the tracks. I cannot get the sections to snap. The previous section has been added to RDB (Z key pushed and blue lines show). Snapping doesn't happen so I try aligning it manually. Even when I get it what looks to be perfect and I select Z the blue lines are at slightly different levels and a car spawner will not cross the joint (my usual test to see if I got it right).

I'm wondering if there is some way to edit the RDB directly to force the sections to line up but I have not seen any documentation on the RDB format and the file does not even seem to list the shape names.

Jon

#2 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

https://up.picr.de/39917255aj.jpg

#3 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

Regarding the alignment:This is a known problem, bad alignment when joining curves on an incline, especially multi-lane roads or track. It's a geometry thing. I think ScaleRail also has a solution for this.
The partial solution is to use the shortest curved road ( or track) section for curves on an incline. Like 4 5d sections rather than a single 20d section.
There are posts at trainsim.com going way back discussing the problem if you'd care to do some research.

regards,
vince

edit:context

#4 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:07 AM

Getting roads and track to snap together over a bridge can be a problem even using "snap to target"

One solution is:
1 make a copy of your Tiles folder.
2 bring the terrain up to your road/track using the F key
3 lay your road/track across the bridge
4 Save
5 Delete your Tiles folder and replace it with the copy you made in 1 above

Garry

#5 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

Laying track in city settings where the track will be on a viaduct and/or where you have elevated expressways, Garry's TILES method works wonders.

And Vince is correct -- use the 1d and 5d sections and things should connect. On wide sections beyond 5d, you're going to exceed the 0_16m or so tolerance for RDB or TDB lines to connect.

#6 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:16 AM

Using F to place tracks on bridges is a bad solution in TSRE. Use stick to all Q mode instead.
Never use stick to target option when placing tracks/roads/interactives.

#7 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:37 AM

I could not get the pieces aligned with either stick to target - roads or using shift-Q stick to anything, so I ended up temporarily placing a piece, hitting F to bring up the terrain (which buried my track) then aligning the pieces using stick to terrain mode. I used smaller lengths as Vince suggested which helped. When I was done I selected the track pieces and hit F to put the terrain back more or less where it was. A little clean up with the F2 editor and everything was fine. I can now create car spawners in both directions. Will take a while to add 6 car spawners over a 1.2 km stretch of 6 lane highway :) But this is an important scenic element as my route parallels the freeway (now called I-93 or more commonly the Southeast Distressway).

#8 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

View PostjonInMaine, on 23 November 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

".............snip........................... Will take a while to add 6 car spawners over a 1.2 km stretch of 6 lane highway :) ...............snip.........................
Car Spawners can be made to extend the full length of any road when placing the spawner by use of the EXPAND button shown here on the TSRE screen shot with a spawner selected.
Attached File  spawner.jpg (9.76K)
Number of downloads: 0
Goku has suggested that expanding the spawner beyond 2 kilometers is NOT a good idea.
He didn't explain but the fact that MSTS will not allow spawners over 2 kilometers length to be set probably has the same reasons.

#9 User is online   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

I do think that if car spawners longer than 2km don't work well in the sim that some sort of limiting function could be implemented into the editor so that car spawners can't exceed that limit. Even the MSTS editor has that. I've had trouble with car spawners exceeding 2km not working well in OR, too. They're perfectly valid, but they don't seem to be very good at their job when they get that long

#10 User is offline   eolesen 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:23 PM

I'm not sure if it's a 2KM limit or what can be loaded into memory.

Remember the Brady Bunch... Alice (the middle tile) is where the cursor is.

Attached File  dd32e02d11b81f7f0ee801e7a156ca92.jpg (18.3K)
Number of downloads: 3

When you move to that next tile boundary, objects no longer needed get dumped and objects needed get loaded.

Attached File  ORTS_Tile_Loading.jpg (51.34K)
Number of downloads: 3

If you have a spawner over more than 2Km, you'll eventually dump the start or never load the end when you cross the tile boundary that decides when to load/unload the start/end point.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users