Elvas Tower: In-game toggles that should stick, but don't? - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In-game toggles that should stick, but don't? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:19 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 22 November 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

Before we suggest any more saved preferences, let's think about where we want to store them. There are several choices:

• In the global settings store, which applies to all sessions across all installation profiles. This is the mechanism my current work is concerned with. I've already placed the states of the Ctrl+1, Shift+F4, Shift+F6, and Shift+F7 toggles here. I'd argue that window positions should go here, too.
  • In the save file, which is saved and restored across a single session. To my mind, settings that are encoded here should be directly related to the simulation and the activity at hand. I think you could plausibly make a case that the Shift+F6 and Shift+F7 labels could go here, but I'm not convinced it's the correct place for saved window positions.
  • As part of the installation profile, so players can have different graphical settings for different routes and equipment. This is a longstanding and popular feature request. In general, it's something I'd like to see too, with the caveat that I'd be worried about over-complicating the preference system. In addition, James has expressed a preference for doing away with installation profiles. Not sure how that would play with this idea.

The funny thing is, we already have a "Dispatcher Window" checkbox. I wonder if, rather than having the player press Ctrl+9 to open the window he or she has already opted in to enable, it might be better if we just opened the Dispatcher Window automatically if it's been enabled?

1. Replying to the above emphasis...how about saving route preferences with the actual route...OR would look for a specific file -- in an OpenRails folder? -- to read and configure options according to those saved preferences found the the ROUTES\"route name" file\OpenRails folder.
2. "Doing away with installation profiles": not aware of this, what does that mean and how would it work?

#22 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:19 AM

Okay, so how about this: Eliminate the "Dispatcher Window" checkbox. Just make it always on by default. You still press Ctrl+9 to open the window.

Until we get the ability to close the window, too, I think it's best that we not open it back up when resuming from a save.

#23 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:36 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 22 November 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

1. Replying to the above emphasis...how about saving route preferences with the actual route...OR would look for a specific file -- in an OpenRails folder? -- to read and configure options according to those saved preferences found the the ROUTES\"route name" file\OpenRails folder.

I would hesitate to put this kind of information into the route folder. I believe that if it's data that you wouldn't share with other players (by zipping up the folder and distributing it), it shouldn't go there.

View PostR H Steele, on 22 November 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

2. "Doing away with installation profiles": not aware of this, what does that mean and how would it work?

James last mentioned it in the recent discussion on content file structure. He said he'd like to see profiles "be less visible" as we start implementing OR ways of storing things. I'm not entirely sure what the end result would look like either - it's clear that profiles can't be done away with entirely, since there will always be conflicts in GLOBAL\ and other such locations - but it's something to keep in my mind.

#24 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:28 AM

AS long as there is a "restore defaults"

#25 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostYoRyan, on 22 November 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

In the save file, which is saved and restored across a single session. To my mind, settings that are encoded here should be directly related to the simulation and the activity at hand. I think you could plausibly make a case that the Shift+F6 and Shift+F7 labels could go here, but I'm not convinced it's the correct place for saved window positions.

Perhaps I'm being dense but I don't see the problem here.

Surely Resume puts you back where you were when you saved? Is there anything that you would not want to restore if OR could do it for you?

#26 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:11 PM

I'm saying, yes, restore the window positions, but do we do so as part of the save file (so you still have to reposition your windows when starting a new game) or do we do so as part of the global settings store (so your windows will always spawn in the last position, regardless of the current activity)?

#27 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:27 PM

View PostYoRyan, on 23 November 2020 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm saying, yes, restore the window positions, but do we do so as part of the save file (so you still have to reposition your windows when starting a new game) or do we do so as part of the global settings store (so your windows will always spawn in the last position, regardless of the current activity)?

Thinking of how I used to use those windows, when I used them, they went to different positions on the screen depending on what the specific locomotive's cab-view looked like - so they didn't cover and hide operational elements of the cab-view.

That said, I personally would always re-arrange them at the beginning of a new session (unless it used the same loco as the session I had run before), which in turn means, saving the windows positions within the save file should be a viable option. Plus, it would still enable the user to define default positions for the widows, that should fit most cases.

Only my two cents, though, which can well be ignored seeing how long it's been since I last seriously ran a train in ORTS ;)

Cheers, Markus

#28 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

Yes, the resize of this window is actual.
My opinion, as low-grade PC owner: to have possibility not to engage excessive load-producing features, when them are unnecessary.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users