Elvas Tower: In-game toggles that should stick, but don't? - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In-game toggles that should stick, but don't? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails/unstable

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hi all,

Currently, in-game option toggles like Ctrl+1 (for cab pillarboxing) and Shift+F4 (for immersive mode on the Track Monitor) do not persist after the game exits. I am working on a patch to change this. Since you all know the game much better than I do, I was wondering what other toggles besides these two would be convenient to save and restore?

The list so far:

• Alt+1: Toggle 2D/3D cab
  • Ctrl+1: Toggle cab pillarboxing
  • Shift+F4: Toggle Track Monitor immersive mode
  • Shift+F6: Cycle between siding/platform/both/on route labels
  • Shift+F7: Cycle between train/car labels

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:15 AM

I suppose, it's very handy enhancement-no need to repeat some actions every time, starting the simulation...
About F6/F7 I would argue: not always the previous status needed-the default would be more suitable in that cases...
Similar I can say about up/down in 2d cabview camera position: sometimes need to store, sometimes-no.

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:47 AM

View PostYoRyan, on 13 November 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Currently, in-game option toggles like Ctrl+1 (for cab pillarboxing) and Shift+F4 (for immersive mode on the Track Monitor) do not persist after the game exits. I am working on a patch to change this. Since you all know the game much better than I do, I was wondering what other toggles besides these two would be convenient to save and restore?
I think this might become a lengthy thread, because it affects us all :-)

I'm sure this has been discussed before, though without any developer commitment to carry it through. I can't find that thread but one issue raised was which settings should be global and which might be specific to a route, or even an activity or player train.

How about a way to re-open and re-position pop-ups like F10.

How about a way to restore settings back to their defaults.

Also I wonder how many users are aware that it is possible to use an openrails.ini file to provide settings which override those stored in the Windows Registry. This means that a user can have several installations (Stable, Testing, Unstable, Monogame) with settings which are independent.

#4 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 14 November 2020 - 03:05 AM

F10 is timetable isn't it... Wich pop-"ups"?
Ah, that's that track monitor need to be at the right or at the left; higher or lower, depending of the cab?
I tryed to drive without it, seeing on speedometer and cab signal, remembering locations of speed limits-such challenge, that was usual for real life.

#5 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:03 AM

View PostWeter, on 14 November 2020 - 12:15 AM, said:

About F6/F7 I would argue: not always the previous status needed-the default would be more suitable in that cases...

On the other hand, some players (how many?) might have their own preferred modes for their F6/F7 labels. In any case, I believe the game informs you which mode you're in the first time you press F6/F7, so I don't think there's any harm in making them persistent.

View Postcjakeman, on 14 November 2020 - 02:47 AM, said:

I can't find that thread but one issue raised was which settings should be global and which might be specific to a route, or even an activity or player train.

I definitely think there is some need for route-specific settings. However, I consider them outside of the scope of this work. The big idea here is to allow the game to write back to the settings store to preserve options that the player has manipulated while in-game.

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:25 AM

Then, maybe as an option Write or not?

#7 User is offline   YoRyan 

• Conductor

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

No. It's our policy to avoid introducing new options. And what would this one look like? "Save settings changed in-game [X]"? Seems kind of incomprehensible to new players.

Look, if you like your F6/F7 labels on the default modes, then you could just keep them set to the default modes. The game's not going to change them behind your back.

#8 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Just for balance ;)

#9 User is offline   jasonattorney 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:10 PM

I would actually like to have the Dispatcher Window open in the background everytime the simulation starts - perhaps this could be added to your list. It would also be cool to save the Dispatcher Window's status when you save the game and automatically reopen it if it was open when an activity was saved. And it would also be convenient if it could reopen maximized.

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:11 AM

View Postjasonattorney, on 20 November 2020 - 10:10 PM, said:

I would actually like to have the Dispatcher Window open in the background every time the simulation starts - perhaps this could be added to your list. It would also be cool to save the Dispatcher Window's status when you save the game and automatically reopen it if it was open when an activity was saved. And it would also be convenient if it could reopen maximized.
Not sure if I've understood you correctly, but I like the idea of saving window settings when you press F2 to save and then automatically re-apply them when the activity/timetable is resumed.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users