• You cannot reply to this topic

Lost files Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   emsob 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Hello, I got a message that I pass on:
"My name is Marcin, and after many years I am trying to return to the development of the Polish CMK Krakow - Warsaw route. Unfortunately, during the OR update to the next test version, the entire contents of the folders with the route files were removed - they remained empty. Please provide information on how to fix it. If you do not believe it? then please make any file eg. txt in the folder with the openrails.exe file and update the program to the latest version. The file will disappear. This is a serious bug which caused the loss of nearly 3 weeks of work. I hope it will be fixed. Regards Marcin "

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

I hope that Marcin has a backup. The only things that should be in the Open Rails folders are the Open Rails files. Routes, trains etc belong in their own folder structure outside of the Open Rails folders. It is not a bug, it is how Open Rails was designed to work. When updating all files are deleted and new ones put back. Anything not directly related to the Open Rails setup folders is also deleted, but not replaced.

#3 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:04 PM

Tested your installation method. My folder is e:\OR INSTALL TEST. The download I installed was OpenRails-1.3.1-Setup.exe from the website.

The install was completed. The newly created OpenRails was installed and runs. The created file test.txt as well as the OpenRails installer are all there. Nothing was deleted.

EDIT: Re-read the original post...my test does not accurately reflect the conditions of the original topic.

#4 User is offline   marcin.cychulski 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 21 October 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

I hope that Marcin has a backup. The only things that should be in the Open Rails folders are the Open Rails files. Routes, trains etc belong in their own folder structure outside of the Open Rails folders. It is not a bug, it is how Open Rails was designed to work. When updating all files are deleted and new ones put back. Anything not directly related to the Open Rails setup folders is also deleted, but not replaced.

The message was from me.

Excuse me? You've just told me that OR is designed to be highly malicious software that can damage every file in its directory when updated? Are you kidding?
I think it's time someone notifies a relevant authority that such software is being developed without warning.

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

View Postmarcin.cychulski, on 22 October 2020 - 09:54 AM, said:

The message was from me.

Excuse me? You've just told me that OR is designed to be highly malicious software that can damage every file in its directory when updated? Are you kidding?
I think it's time someone notifies a relevant authority that such software is being developed without warning.

User content is not supposed to be placed within the Open Rails folders. That is what the Content tab is for, to point Open Rails to the location of your content.

The Open Rails updater will only update the folders it is activated from and is designed to remove all trace of a previous version from that location before installing the updated version. It is not malicious in any way shape or form and will NEVER remove any user content that is not within its own folder structure.

------Open Rails folders-------
------User Content-------- equal to an MSTS installation with its own folder structure which is described in the manual.

#6 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

View Postmarcin.cychulski, on 22 October 2020 - 09:54 AM, said:

The message was from me.

I think that the Windows operating system (at that time version 10) and some of its updates will cause much more damage.
Your outrage at the loss can be understood. But it was a careless act.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users