• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concern over the Activity Editor for Goku's editor Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:58 AM

I've used TSRE's activity editor "almost" exclusively. I don't have a working version of the old MSTS editor to work with. A couple of things has already been posted to Goku's forum with respect to the AE. One is that There is an issue with adding Traffic to an Activity. I've documented it several times, however I have found a workaround. The second one has to do with time. I developed the 1st segment of the Southwest Chief's activity from Chicago to LA. in 1995 (before BNSF). The train arrives in Ft. Madison, IA at just about 10:20pm or so. So the next segment is across the Marceline Sub. Arriving in KC about 2:00 AM. When computing times for opposing traffic in the AE, any time entered after midnight is entered correctly however because the train start on Day 1 at 10:22pm when it passes Midnight into Day 2, the simulator doesn't recognize that, therefore traffic enter in AE at say 1:00am is never seen, because the simulator assumes that 1:00am is on Day 1, not Day 2. I had to use a text editor to keep adding time to traffic manually so the simulator will recognize the correct starting time. I'm sure there are more small errors in the TSRE's AE, however, I was able to quickly and fairly efficiently build these two Segments of the Southwest Chief's route in 1995. (The second segment needs a couple of static consists placed and completion of the documentation before submitting.)

#12 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 12 October 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

Goku has put the code into the public domain. So if the community wants to support an editor, the code is there either to be developed further or as a starting point for something new.
Christopher

Excellent news. I am in the process of building up some coding knowledge and might take a look.

#13 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

Goku did not finished the activity editor (so far). I think he reached the point of burn out or moving on to other things or having life take over. He knew it could be better. At least we have what we've got.
Christopher

#14 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:00 PM

thanks guys now i feel confident about using the AE and much much appteciate the help and replies. I had turned to Life stuff but just read this today and now see what to do > i think i can also click on the track and avoid the yellow active line hopefully to avoid this issue. lets hope so.
thanks again

Chris

#15 User is offline   A D REID 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

Here is another way to tame TSRE for activity creation only; make this change to "settings.txt:

writeEnabled = false

This will cripple all of the route editing abilities -- it will never save changes to the route itself, but will still allow you to "Save Activities". Make this change only if you never intend to make route changes of any kind. Even selecting Route/Save from the menu bar does nothing! Nor will you be prompted to "Save route changes?". This will prevent accidental changes.

BUT, make sure you always use "Save Activities" in the Activity Tools as you will not be prompted when you exit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users