Concern over the Activity Editor for Goku's editor Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

Hello Goku and all

i hoped to use the acrtivity editor but when i opened up a new Activity and went to click on the route to place a consists it engaged the yellow line of the track and actually lifted up the track thus destroying its integrity.

is there a way to turn off that active yellow line when the editor opens? otherwise i dont see how i can use the editor tho it looks great.

any tips much appreciated as i would love to be able to use it over the old one.

Chris

#2 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:12 AM

writeTDB = true
Set to false if you wand to disable Save Track Database functions.

Settings

#3 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:30 AM

Hi Chris,

Also, if you are only working to create an activity, use ONLY the Save Activity function at the bottom of the AE section. When you exit TSRE, if it asks you if you want to save anything, select Discard Changes. That way you will avoid making any overwrites other than those to the activity (that you saved earlier before you exit TSRE). As posted above, make sure TSRE writeTDB is set to false. Just remember that you will have to set it back to "true" if you actually intend to edit the route itself.

#4 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

I agree it should disable all other functions when you go into the activity editor but it is what it is. If you accidentally move something ctrl-z will move it back. I accidentally move things all the time.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:31 PM

jared2982, on 07 October 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

I accidentally move things all the time.

So does everyone. The critical flaw is you don't always know you have done it because the moved item is out of sight.

The solution is to tie specific functions to different cursor appearances: One cursor for select (which should include drawing a rectangle of any size to "grab everything within), another for rotate the camera view, a third for object move/rotate, and for good measure, one more for paint. If your current cursor is for move/rotate and what to rotate the camera view you change cursors and their tied functions. You can't screw up because you are looking right at the cursor with every action you take. There is no way of mistaking things.

This was suggested to Goku and his response was "No way". No other explanation or reasoning.

So everybody gets to go ahead and screw up their route by relocating track unawares.

#6 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

Genma Saotome, on 07 October 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

So does everyone. The critical flaw is you don't always know you have done it because the moved item is out of sight.

The solution is to tie specific functions to different cursor appearances: One cursor for select (which should include drawing a rectangle of any size to "grab everything within), another for rotate the camera view, a third for object move/rotate, and for good measure, one more for paint. If your current cursor is for move/rotate and what to rotate the camera view you change cursors and their tied functions. You can't screw up because you are looking right at the cursor with every action you take. There is no way of mistaking things.

This was suggested to Goku and his response was "No way". No other explanation or reasoning.

So everybody gets to go ahead and screw up their route by relocating track unawares.

As much as I fully appreciate and respect all the effort Goku has put into his editor, I do believe that a community supported open source editor would be the better solution for long term.

#7 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:32 AM

Goku has put the code into the public domain. So if the community wants to support an editor, the code is there either to be developed further or as a starting point for something new.
Christopher

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

conductorchris, on 12 October 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

Goku has put the code into the public domain. So if the community wants to support an editor, the code is there either to be developed further or as a starting point for something new.
Christopher

Thank you, Goku. So all we need now, is to find a coder who also has knowledge of route building?

#9 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:37 PM

R H Steele, on 12 October 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

Thank you, Goku. So all we need now, is to find a coder who also has knowledge of route building?

Eventually but IMO initially the desired expertise would best be in UI design.

#10 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

There are a number of things that are "wonky" in the way the TSRE Activity Editor is designed that make it too easy to make inadvertent mistakes that are then saved when the Activity is saved. I often have to get into an activity file using a text editor (I use Context) to fix things that the AE couldn't or wouldn't do correctly. I don't think any of the issues are ones that a good programmer couldn't resolve with some time and effort. I don't fault Goku for this. At the time, people were hungry for an AE outside of MSTS and Goku was kind enough to write one--but, it wasn't and isn't totally ready for prime time. Ideally, it should be improved and integrated--with the rest of TSRE--into the Tools menu in OR. Hopefully, a good programmer (I'm not a programmer, though I've worked with a number of them over the years) will come along to tackle this.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users